Re: [IRCA] WRIB-1220 photo

> Beautiful. Thank you. Still have couple B&W negatives taken late afternoon
> autumn '71 from west bank Seekonk River, off Gano St. Didn't '76 hurricane
> topple original self-supporting tower w/"WRIB" prominently affixed below
> magnificent Hughey & Phillips 300mm beacon?

Nope.  Unnamed rain/wind storm in January 1978 did it.  Followed shortly by
the Blizzard of 1978 in February.  52" of snow in 36 hours just up the road
in Lincoln, RI.  I was wandering around the Bay in February at dead low tide
in hip waders pounding stakes in to mark the new guy anchor pilings.  An
inch of ice cannot be rowed through nor walked upon.  Only thing to do is
become a personal ice breaker.  Weirdest job I ever had in radio, especially
when low tide came just before dawn.  Also one of the more dangerous as that
part of the Bay is like quicksand.

>    WRIB early 50's innovative with "race records", R&B, Rock 'n Roll.
Batled

#1 in the Arbitrons for one book in 1959.  Chuck Stevens, I think.  Never
again a contender.

> Ever unconquerable, when PRO emerged victorious and sallied
> forth to fight "The Mighty Twelve-Ninety" WICE, 'RIB embraced C&W and
ethnic
> narrowcasting. Eddie Zack's Hayloft Jamboree radiated brightly from small
island,
> as did Brother Al - Oil of Salvation, 50 cents/bottle - Gloria Isabella's
> "Portuguese Hour", as well as Italian Hour. Rich history.

Similar format today swapping SS for C&W.  Some shows have been on since
then.

>   Is tower situated upon Potato Island? No longer own Providence Harbor
> nautical chart. Confiscated at border, '94 upon being exiled to FL.

The island has several names, one of which is Potato Island.  Next to Rat
Island which is very well named.

FWIW, WRIB has been one of my clients since 1975.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI