Re: [IRCA] Wobblers revisited

At 07:48 PM 10/16/2005, you wrote:

All the Czech transmitters date back to about 1967. In fact, the Tesla folks, complete with a ?political officer? visited me in about ?68 to try to sell me some transmitters. They offered 3 models which had been ?extensively proven? in Cuba, and they had pictures to show for it.  The 30, 60 and 120 were all variants on the same basic modules, with different finals and power supplies. Most of the big low band Cubans were 120?s. However, the one I was offered was not water cooled. It was a conventional high level plate modulated rig, with everyone?s favorite Svetlana tubes in it. They were very bulky, and very heavy. The sheet metal in the cabinets was thicker than US transmitters of the time, and the internal plates were also steel, which surprised me as I was already building my own transmitters on aluminum frames and panels in ?64. I guess they wanted them to hold up to an atomic attack.

The technology throughout the Teslas was very conventional. They could easily be maintained anywhere in Latin America with rudimentary tools, an audio generator, a test set, a scope and a Simpson 260.  I do not know of any frequency agile transmitters in Cuba being used on MW.

David,

There you go. Some of the old stuff is utility grade. It sounds like the 120 is not the culprit. You'd need a sledge hammer to knock it off the air. This newer frequency-agile stuff is also frequently very lightly built. More like consumer grade.

The Brown-Boveri (ABB) transmitters in use at IBB Delano are good examples. Honestly, more like consumer grade equipment scaled up to 250 kW.

The GE old BT250A transmitters in use at IBB Greenville are more like utility grade. They are early 1950s technology. Still in use but showing their age. The ABBs will die much
sooner.

Charles