Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2005 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] DX Tip for WDXR

Ralph,

A guy who was affiliated with MARS back in the 1970s gave me a R390 which had some alignment issues (and probably other issues as well).  He took it back and gave me the R388 which I have now.  I just looked at the serial number plate.  It is a Collins R-388/URR, not R388A...serial number 422.  I don't know how many they made.  I guess the R390 was a R390A, because that A got stuck in my head from somewhere.

Are you by any chance the person who was recommended to me as someone who performs magic on these babies?  It's still on the same tubes and alignment as it had back in 1978 when I got it, and I notice that the 1.5-2.5 MHz band is not as sensitive as the 0.5-1.5 MHz band, plus there's a scratchy sound that goes away after it warms up for a few minutes.  I thought I'd ask.  Loop antennas are very possibly going to be the next subject I ask questions about. :)

Mike Hawkins

RALPH SANSERINO <r.sanserino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike where did you get the R388A ??
73