Re: [IRCA] Broadband noise - (Getting rid of it)

Re: [IRCA] Broadband noise - (Getting rid of it)

> Powerline noise maybe? I do know there are filters available to put
> right at your mains box to kill noise coming in. They are supposed to
> work anyway.
> I doubt this would work against something like IBOC.
> Patrick
>
> Patrick Martin

The local power utility offers a "ZapCap" which is a set of
high dissipation MOV's in a pancake device that the
utility installs inside your meter pan. It costs about $35
for the initial hookup and about $5/month rent. It is not a
power line noise filter, but rather is intended to clamp
electrical surges to a reasonably safe amount. Here in
Tampa, the lightning capital of North America ( _not_ the
world ! ) it is a worthwhile investment. I think there was
one time that it saved all of the electronics in my kitchen,
when a bolt hit just outside. And that was just when I
was at home.

Usually a power line noise filter for device use is a
combination of three MOV's (H-N, H-G and N-G)
at the input, and a L-C network for noise filtering. The
noise filtering may exist for outdoor mains use but I have
never seen one, especially at the consumer level.

MOV (metal-oxide varistors) are rated in clamping volts,
and joules of power dissipation. They look like red
thick disc capacitors with two wire leads.

These devices are meant for power line surges, and
are useless against aaii baiq noise. (wonder how
many mail filters caught that, hi)

- Bob