Re: [IRCA] Air America update

I know lots of oldies stations have disappeared lately, although this is
mostly an FM phenomenon. The prospects are that some AMs may take this
format up, especially in suburban and smaller markets where ratings are not
the prime driver of ad sales.

However, to say that the death of oldies formats has to do with the age of
the sellers is to miss the main point... one which dictates nearly all major
market format gyrations. In rated markets, most billing is what is called
"transactional" which means that it is negotiated based on rate and ratings.
In this situation, most advertisers of consequence have ad agencies or ad
departments who call the shots. The advertiser has a specific age target,
and very seldom is it outside the 18-49 or 25-54 age groups, and usually is
a small part of that spread.

So, a station goes to Mr. Advertiser with mostly 55 and over listeners. If
the advertiser has a target that does not include over-55, the station will
not be considered, no matter how good the seller. In many cases, the ad
agency has been told by the client's marketing department what to select as
age targets, and the agency can do nothing about this... the product was
probably designed for a specific age and the packaging is designed for
appeal to that age, etc.

Station sellers in such situations are only negotiators to make the
advertiser happy on price vs. delivery goals. They have no ability to change
the marketing plan of a product or service that was decided several if not
many levels above the buying process.

This is why Beautiful Music died, why standards is a niche format, why
Spanish AMs have disappeared in the big Hispanic markets, etc. There is no
demand, and the selling process can not make old or undesirable demos
attractive if the client is not looking for that audience.

>From an AM DX perspective, many formats that do not work any more on bigger
FMs can migrate to AMs in the market or surrounding it, or to rural areas,
where clients are by necessity broader in targeting because their local
markets are smaller and they have to reach everyone to make a living.