Re: [IRCA] IRCA Loop update 3

> > What I have noticed is that it seems to hear low angle DX much better
than
> > my sloper.  TA hets are much louder across the band over the other
antenna.
> > The ability to null is a real bonus.
>
> I may have missed it on an earlier post, but how are you ultimately
planning
> to rotate the loop? By hand, or with an antenna rotor?

One goal is to put one up on the top of my tower on the same rotor as my FM
antenna.  I want to build a smaller one for indoor and portable use.  They
are simple enough to make.  I'm considering making the portable one with
three threaded connections, and a bolt-together fourth corner.  This would
allow it to be disassembled for mobile use.  Probably a stake in the ground
as a mount.  Or, something which could bolt to the spare tire to use as a
base.  Set the tire on the ground, and bolt the whole thing to it.  Since
the tire is already on board, it's a natural.  My truck uses 33-12.5x 16.5
tires which could anchor a pretty big loop.

> This sounds intriguing; I have one on Mark Connelly's 6-foot 'mobile'
> broadband loops that I'd like to play with this year, but still haven't
> figured out a semi-permanent way to mount and rotate it in the backyard
yet,

Hand rotating works, if you set it on a large stake.  If you have a TV rotor
kicking around, that would do it.   Maybe a pressure treated 2x4 would work.
I do want to build a mount to allow rotation both in azimuth and elevation
to see if it can null better.

This week I may try building a second one to put outside.  If I mounted both
of them aimed in the same direction, and at least 50' apart in the same
plane, nulling might be more effective.

Right now the smaller one I built yesterday is hanging from a rafter in my
breezeway.  Hardly permanent.

Once I get a bit further along, I'll write up an article with pictures.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI