[IRCA] IBOC discussion

Ain't nothing wrong with calm and collected discussion of what is,
potentially, a new and interesting mode. Specs, side effects,
upcoming hardware - all can be interesting matters to discourse
upon.  Going round and round in circles, declaring iBiquity to be the
new AntiChrist and CC its Vicar on Earth, p.o.'ing the industry
insiders on the list is getting boring for the bystander and
disaffecting for the professionals here. We sound like a bunch of
miserable old washerwomen!

That's what I really do dislike - after the first year or so of
reading all this ranting it has become just plain annoying.

IBOC, I think, would be a whole lot more interesting to us all if
software decoders for it were available - as they are for DRM. I've
been playing with DRM for a couple of years now and  find it it be an
interesting mode (on SW) but very definitely not a DX mode by any
stretch of the imagination. That's mainly because it needs a signal
that's about S9+18dB in order to produce good, continuous audio.  If
the broadcaster is willing to reduce the audio bandwidth he can get a
signal that works further down in the noise (simple physics) - one of
the Arab stations does that via Europe? (iirc) and I get decent copy
here in the USA at the cost of reduced fidelity. Conversely, the
broadcaster can also do neat things like send you web pages across
the ether at the same time as you're listening!

It'll be interesting to see where all this goes in the long run.
Neither IBOC nor DRM are shoo-ins at the moment. I'm 100% certain
that market forces will determine whether they live or die.

                                 Lee