Re: [IRCA] Radio Needs to Serve Listeners...Not "Wall Street"

Re: [IRCA] Radio Needs to Serve Listeners...Not "Wall Street"

         Since this topic is germane to both clubs, I'm including the
NRC List in my reply.

         Many years ago, my cousin, Milt Hibdon (R.I.P.), was the
General Manager of KORL-650 in Honolulu. You may have heard of the
station. Milt was a bit older than me, and I recall him telling me of
his experiences in the Radio INDUSTRY. We discussed things when he
was back in the States, and like several have mentioned on the lists,
if the station isn't making money it won't survive. To survive it
needs to sell air time (i.e., spots/commercials). That established,
you have a format that is appealing to your target audience....an
acid rock format of the 60's would probably not survive in many areas
of the South. It's a matter of taste.

         Fast forward to today and my listening tastes. I have driven
back and forth across country several times and though I do DX while
traveling, I have been known to turn off the radio and insert a CD
because I didn't like the available formats. In fact, many times I
have driven for hours without any "noise" whatsoever. AM Station
formats here in Jacksonville include a Spanish language,  syndicated
talk, gospel, gospel/country, and a country station. Except for brief
checks to see if anything has changed, I have no use for any of
them....they don't serve my listening interests.

         Being Native American, I enjoy listening to tribal songs,
talks of our heritage, and items that pertain to our ongoing struggle
with Uncle Sam, et al. To hear such, I have to go online to listen to
AIROS (American Indian Radio on Satellite). The bottom line is that
while such a format would be welcome to the thousand or so Native
Americans in this region (including those stationed at Camp Lejeune),
it won't happen. Why? Bottom line = $$$

         Wado,   Mike