Re: [IRCA] KYW Going IBOC

Although I can't prove it, it sounds to me as if KYW has relaxed its pattern
somewhat. For the last week or so, it appears to me that Newsradio 1060 has
been much more in evidence at night underneath local WBIX than it has been
at any time since WBIX commenced 24-hour operation about 10 months ago. At
one time, the late Bob Lund, CE of WBIX's first predecessor, WGTR, told me
that WGTR's NIF contour was 8.6 mV/m. WBIX's signal where I live--about 16
miles from WBIX's night site--is approximately 2.5 mV/m, so by any manner of
reckoning, I don't receive an interference-free night signal from WBIX. But
until a week or so ago, WBIX's night signal was almost always listenable. No
more. Lund's 8.6 figure was surely based on the method of computation then
in effect, which gave no weight to first-adjacent skywaves. The current
formulas DO account for first-adjacent skywaves and WBIX gets a huge one
from WEPN, so I suspect that the current NIF value is a lot higher than 8.6.
Still, WEPN isn't very bothersome; the problem is KYW, and my
impression--not backed by any sort of scientific measurement--is that KYW is
much louder than it was two weeks ago.

KYW's pattern is designed to protect WEPN. Seems as though the folks at
Disney need to ask some pointed questions of their counterparts at Infinity.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@xxxxxxx
eFax 707-215-6367