Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] DRM in Germany

Chris,

177 DLR (Deutschlandradio) is owned the German Federal Govt., just like Deutsche Welle; Peter Senger, the head of the DRM organization is the Chief Engineer of DW.  I think this is a "push to acceptance" issue.  The German public practically has abandoned AM radio (LW or MW).  The Megaradio commercial network project on MW failed for that reason.  Chain stores don't carry many multiband radios like they did years ago, they're mostly of Asian origin and AM-FM only (no LW/SW).  So DRM is an attempt to bring people back to the AM bands.

DLR and DLF (Deutschlandfunk) are the only Federal networks in Germany, all other public broadcasters are state run (like Bavaria, Saar, or Brandenburg for example).  DLR and DLF are carried as networks on FM as well, so the public won't miss 177 (if they even listen).  Sweden turned off their LW station after they found out that only a few hundred regular listeners to 189 existed.  Austria abandoned MW except for 1476, and that's mostly foreign service stuff.  I read that Denmark's DR is planning to axe 234 and 1062.

DRM radios are only now being rolled out, having been shown at the big IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin.

Check out the radios at the following link:
but it's in German.  The pictures are interesting... note the one receiver tuned to 177.

As someone who DXed 51 countries on LW/MW on my last 3 week trip over there, I have mixed feelings about it.  DRM does not seem to be interested in a hybrid mode, so interference may be less over there.  My receptions of DRM stations' hash on MW didn't slop as badly as HD Radio does here.

Rich Toebe
Vacaville CA