Re: [IRCA] DSP

Patrick,

I do not have the Timewave DSP but I do have the GAP DSP and the MFJ-784B.  Both these units are less expensive then the Timewave, and from what I've read have fewer features.

I wrote the following recently in response to a question about the GAP DSP and quote it here for whatever value it may prove to you.

--------
Let me start by saying that my use of the GAP DSP has been primarily for voice processing on MW and SW.  I have used it some with RTTY and FAX, but not enough to gauge it's contribution to improved copy.

It is simple, with a single rotary switch to select from the provided degrees of processing.  This as opposed to the
MFJ-784B DSP which I also have, that has a very complex set of switches, settings and features.

I got the GAP first and was pleased with what it did.  When I added another receiver I considered getting another GAP, but decided to step up to the MFJ and use the GAP on the more casually used receiver.  So far I have been more satisfied with the GAP for how I use it, than the MFJ which seems to be both overkill and not do the simple job as well.  I have not spent enough time with the MFJ to do it justice, though.

The only complaint I have with the GAP is its tiny switches and knobs which are a bit difficult to manipulate, but not a big deal.  At first I didn't like it's physical arrangement of controls on top and connectors on three sides.  As it turns out, where I use it now, that arrangement is perfect.

The ability of the GAP to reduce background noise makes it a pleasant addition to my radio set-up.  The annoying and tiring background hiss can be all but eliminated with no appreciable impact on the audio quality.

For FAX reception it seems to reduce some of the noise from the image, but I have only begun to use the GAP for this.  I think the same improvement would be seen in RTTY copy, but have made no effort to evaluate this.

I have a somewhat unique application of the unit to suppress induced heterodynes so I can hear only the variations from what should be a stable carrier.  For this the GAP is perfect.  It's higher settings completely eliminate the primary tone but make slight fluctuations from it easily audible.  This application has to do with monitoring carrier anomalies on Cuban broadcast transmitters, probably not a common application of...anything, let alone a GAP DSP.  If for some strange reason you want to know more about this, check out my Wobbler web site, link in my signature.

To sum it up, for straightforward uses of audio DSP, I think the GAP is excellent.  Heavy use for utility listening, it might not be as useful as the more complex MFJ or the Timewave DSP which is the most expensive and flexible of the three.

Hope that helps.  Any specific questions let me know.
--------

There is also a GAP DSP built into a speaker as opposed to a standalone unit, but I have no experience with that unit.  I assume functionally they are the same.

The GAP DSP costs just under $200, the MFJ (w/ power adapter) just over $250.

As I say, let em know if you have any specific questions about either unit.

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (Southeast) Florida
http://ScooterHound.com/WWWR/wobbler/