Re: [IRCA] Twin Coil Ferrite AM Antenna

I've got one, Tom.

It works well for the money.  I did not get it specifically as a DX
machine; mainly as a way to bring outside RF into my Aluminium-sided
trailer when I was gone camping and wanted to casually DX.

I also, therefore, purchased the optional 25-foot extension cable that
goes between the receive "head" and the desktop tuning unit.

I found it pulled in signals nicely, but the campground environment
(with its plethora of switching power supplies and battery chargers
found in every trailer and RV nearby did cause some ojectionable noise.
  I could likely have rotated the head to reduce the noise, but that
would have been couterproductive considering my intended use for it, as
a remote receiving device so I could listen from inside.

I pulled in several TAs the first weekend I used it, and its performance
easily justified the purchase price of $99.

I found the supplied wall-wart power supply to be a little noisy in the
trailer (not sure if it was passing trailer noise through, or generating
its own) so I opted to run it using the internal 9V battery. Much better.

It's quite sensitive, has good "Q" and works well when fed directly into
the antenna inputs of my 2010, 7600GR and (best of all) my R75.  I
rigged up some adapters to allow the tuning unit to be interfaced
directly with the 50-ohm input of the R75.

At the Miscou Island DX-pedition last year I took it with me and it
performed very well as a table-side antenna.  I also had a Quantum
QX-Pro loop which (of course) outperformed the Justice, but not to the
degree that I would have predicted.

The ideal situation would be to have one weatherproofed and mounted
outside on a remote-controlled rotor.  It's not really built to stand
the elements, though.  But a savvy and handy person could weatherproof
it just fine with plastic and putty, I'm sure.