Re: [IRCA] 1380 XECO

What has happened in Mexico is something that has been happening for several
decades. In the 60's, radio stations outside Mexico City started naming
sales reps in Mexico City, where most of the revenue came from. Over time,
the reps, who wanted consistent formats they could package, started giving
programming advice. But Mexico had not been a highly networked nation in the
glory days of radio drama... so the stations were similar, but not
networked. In addition, there was no infrastructure in the
telecommunications area whereby radio shows could be syndicated. TV had to
build proprietary microwave systems, explaining the 5 decades of Televisa
monopoly, but radio could not afford this.

Better telecommunications let radio start networking in the 90's. Many
stations started taking morning shows out of Mexico City, although these
were mostly of the talk and information kind.

When talk radio started making an impact, the Mexico City programming on
Radio Formula, ACIR and others was distributed by satellite.

Recently, PRISA, the Spanish international media giant went into Mexico and
used their successful model from Spain and South America to actually network
simulcast formats across Mexico. All the ones you name are PRISA stations...
Ke-Buena, Bésame, Estudio W, etc.  The Formula nets are all distributed
nationally, and Radio Acir is on dozens of stations, as are other formats
like Exa.

Its very cheap to distribute formats by satellite now, and this is the way
to cut costs on AMs which hare really struggling in Mexico now.

The reasons: it is cheap, it works, and it allows guarantees that the
distant stations will truly run the spots because they are run out of Mexico
City.