Re: [IRCA] IBOC DXing

One of the things I have wondered about with nighttime IBOC is what the
effects of fading, and other similar atmospheric phenomena, will have on the
IBOC signal.  Will the distortion of the IBOC signal caused by such things
effectively limit nighttime coverage?  With high power and medium power AMs,
what about areas where skywave and groundwave tend to overlap and cause
canceling or phasing effects? And, of course, the old favorite question,
what about nighttime skywave interference from adjacent IBOC stations within
a station's protected contour?  Suppose 880 WCBS in New York turns on IBOC,
and so does 890 WLS in Chicago.  These stations have strong enough skywave
signals within the other's "protected groundwave contour" that severe
interference is likely, if not guaranteed.

IBOC proponents are very big on telling us (DXers and others) that you have
no "inherent right" to listen to stations outside of their interference free
contour.  OK, there's nothing new there.  This has always been true -- you
get what you get outside of that contour, even with analog.  That simple
understanding is, in fact, the basis of our hobby.  What can we receive that
we shouldn't normally be hearing?  Isn't that the purpose of DX?  So, what
the proponents say on "protected contours" is really old hat.

BUT, I would suggest that what is really going to do in IBOC is when
stations start losing nighttime coverage within their protected contours due
to the 8-15khz sideband activity of the IBOC signal from distant stations.

Bottom line:  as has been said before, "The emperor has no clothes."  IBOC
(or more appropriately, IBAC) is bad technology that, in so far as nighttime
AM is concerned, will only work well in the lab, or in extremely controlled
circumstances.  In the real world of 10khz spacing and nighttime skywave,
it's a no brainer.  It's will, I predict, never take hold and will meet the
same fate as AM stereo.

73,
Rene'
Rene' Tetro