Re: [IRCA] AM vs MW-IBOC range differences

Re: [IRCA] AM vs MW-IBOC range differences

>This flaw is every bit as serious as will be the
>adjacent-channel interference in the early stages of deployment. It can be
>argued that the adjacent-channel interference is an unavoidable consequence
>of making the system work on the existing band with the existing
>allocations, There is, however, no similar excuse for making the radios
>incapable of downloading software modifications.

The problem is already manifesting itself on the FM side of the system.
There's been a measurable uptick in the last few months of IBOC FM
operations adding secondary channels to their programming. That's a good
thing, by pretty much any measurement, as it has the potential to provide
an immediate sales hook that might actually make people want to spend the
$$$ to go out and buy a new radio.

But of course the small existing installed base of IBOC radios can't, for
the most part, tune those subchannels, which is a problem.

 From what I understand, this is one of the big hold-ups to the widespread
commercial availability of IBOC radios: there's not even an industry-wide
consensus on how an IBOC radio should tune or display those subchannels,
and until there is, manufacturers are reluctant to start mass production.
It's been holding up all the table IBOC radios (Boston Acoustics,
Radiosophy, etc.) that were announced months or even years ago but are
still unavailable. The fear now is that those radios won't hit the shelves
in time for this holiday season, which would be a major misstep for IBOC.