Re: [IRCA] E-Mail Lists & The Future of the Hobby

Re: [IRCA] E-Mail Lists & The Future of the Hobby

Les
Your msg makes so much sense, given the changing nature of things, but,
given responses posted, I can see why it will never happen.
First of all, the evolution of the Internet makes these clubs sort of
dinosaurs as, for other than their social value, the information abounds
making formalized ublications less important.
Secondly, I now seldom listen regularly to distant stations over the air
as catching them on the net makes them sound like locals -- and sometimes
of superior audio quality to boot.
There will probably not be another generation of dxers as we know it; so
as long as these clubs serve the social, political, or ego driven needs of
those in it, they will stay more or less in their current form.

And there is nothing wrong with this as the clubs serve those that belong.
However, once those who belong are no longer alive, it is likely that the
clubs will fade away as they will have served their need much like the
8-track player did.

Keep in mind that when these clubs were formed, printed newsletters were
the best way to pass alongl info.
Today, there are faster and more efficient ways including this list where
something can be passed along within minutes rather than 3 weeks down the
road.

Thus, if either the NRC or IRCA hopes to be around in 2050, they will have
to think more and more out of the box and evolve into whatever serves
folks down the road not just in the here and now.