[IRCA] Drake RCVR's was Re: WVLG-640

Hi Patrick-

Just a little history about my Drake R-4C. I bought it in 1973 at Amateur
Radio Supply on Ross Ave. in Dallas, TX. I wanted Collins S-Line BUT was few
thousand dollars short. The Veterans Administration payed for all my ham
equipment because I was going to college then and getting VA benefits. I was
working for a little company called Texas Instruments in Dallas at the time.

I have almost all the crystals needed to cover 1.5 to 30 mc. A BCB converter
so I hear AM radio on 10 meters. Noise blanker. Two of the CW filters so I
can copy CW right down into the mud. [From Texas, I worked a German on 20
meter CW and he was running 2 watts.]  Also the matching transmitter but
this needs some work on before I can put back on the air. I wish I had
invested in the Drake 6 and 2 meter and on's. They would be good for TVDX
for the stations in our 6 meter
band.

I love my Drake, I like the 500kc segments per band and 1kc markings on the
dial. BUT I do wish it had a digital reads out.
As you guessed, it all tubes, which are close to needing replaced. Maybe
someday. The R-4C wasn't made with BCB DX in mind, so for serious DX you
need something perhaps like the ICOM people put out. Not sure whats
happening in the radio manufacturing world anymore.

Just how good is the R-8? I see a number of people have them. Was also
wondering just how ggod you beverage antennas are. Better than an 40 meter
inverted V?

73's
Willis