[IRCA] DX opportunity? (FM)

I thought this might interest some of you - it's an LP FM, tho...

 From the Houston Chronicle, 9/13/05
 ----
Low-power station to broadcast at the 'Dome

If all goes well technically, a delayed low-power radio station will begin
broadcasting news and information at noon today to evacuees living in the
Reliant Park shelters.

KAMP -- for Katrina Aftermath Media Project -- will broadcast at 95.3 FM at
just 6 watts. Renee Feltz, news director for KPFT-FM -- which has been
spearheading the project with Indymedia -- said the station will operate
from an Airstream trailer in the Astrodome parking lot.

It will not initially be available over the Internet, which means it only
will be accessible to those with an FM radio in the Reliant Park complex.
Evacuees in the George R. Brown Convention Center will not be able to hear
it.

KAMP will be operating with its second FCC license. The station's organizers
obtained an initial license from the FCC more than a week ago, but county
officials denied the station access inside the Astrodome based on the
resources required, Feltz said.

The group applied for a second license that has them operating outside the
'Dome.

"We've got our own generator to make our own electricity, we've even got our
own bathrooms," Feltz said.

Feltz contended that, had the station been operating earlier under the
initial license, it might have been able to help disseminate information
during last weekend's confusion over the issuance of debit cards.

The station will offer information about services, audio from other shelters
in Texas and news items from the state's affected, she said.

 -- Dwight Silverman
 ---

You also might want to check out the KAMP website -
http://evacuationradioservices.org/

My apologies if this has been posted before - I think they originally wanted
to start broadcasting on 9/7 but were unable to get thru all the red tape...

Lynn.