[IRCA] My Grundig S350 Review

The Grundig S350 reminds me allot of the old Sony ICF-6500W, an analog portable radio with digital readout from the early 1980's and my first receiver with a digital readout! My memory may be failing me but I'm pretty sure that the ICF-6500W was a single conversion IF receiver too.

Good Features-

1.) No VCO phase noise as it's an analog receiver.
2.) No discernable noise from digital readout circuitry.
3.) No hash noise from included outboard switching power supply wall wart.
4.) Excellent audio.
5.) Has FM AGC off position.
6.) Very Sensitive.
7.) Dual bandwidth feature, though only moderately effective.
8.) Large internal loopstick antenna with sharp null on AM.
9.) RF gain control.
10.) Accurate clock.
11.) Dial light that will stay on indefinitely.

Bad Features-

1.) Made In China at near slave wages. (personal opinion)
2.) Lousy carrying handle. (personal opinion)
3.) Tuning knob backlash.
4.) Poor dynamic range allows for intermodulation on AM and SW, even with built in antennas but remedial with RF gain control.
5.) Unstable but it is an analog receiver and stabilizes pretty good on AM after a one hour warm up.
6.) Poor image rejection on AM and SW due to single IF frequency. (455 kc)
7.) Whip antenna doesn't lock in place when retracted and placed horizontal.
8.) Shafts on potentiometers are flimsy and will probably break easily with rough handling.
9.) RF gain control potentiometer is not linear.

Observation/Comments-

Using the whip antenna on SW the radio is terrible. It is very unstable and much more so than on FM and AM. It is full of images and suffers from front end overload. Geez I even had signal overload on 31 meters at day time! As we used to say in the 1970's and 1980's a real howling dog.

Using the whip antenna on FM the radio is good. Mind you I haven't DXed the FM band since the 1970's (that's going to change soon though) and I can only compare it to my only other FM radio, an old Panasonic solid state analog from the 1970's. Sensitivity is very good and the AGC off position allows for copy of weak adjacent signals. I was able to copy many stations further then 75 miles from their transmitter site, many past the fringe reception area.

Examples:

92.1 mc WFNK Perry, FL, 166 mi. 6 kw, HAAT 328 ft. Had to be intermittent tropo. and meteor/lightning ionization trail propagation.
96.1 mc WTMP Dade City, FL, 33 mi., 2.8 kw, HAAT 483 ft. Full quieting stereo reception.
99.9 mc WGNE Palatka, FL, 115 mi., 100 kw, HAAT 1202 ft. Stereo reception!
101.1 mc WJRR Cocoa Beach, FL, 75 mi., 95 kw, HAAT 1599 ft. Stereo reception!

Using the internal loopstick antenna on AM the radio is darned good but I did hear a few weak images at daytime. I also had a little intermodulation from nearby stations but the RF gain control took care of it. The nearby flame throwers are 910 kc, 5 kw, 4 miles and 1010 kc, 50 kw, 6 miles.

Today I copied:

WWL 870 kc 50 kw New Orleans, LA
WQAM 560 kc 5 kw Miami, FL
WJCC 1700 kc 10 kw Miami Springs, FL
WKII 1070 kc 3.1 kw (Solano) Port Charlotte, FL
WOKV 690 kc 50 kw Jacksonville, FL
WCNZ 1660 kc 10 kw Marco Island, FL

All stations were at least 100 miles away and good copy through lightning QRN.

Last night:

Some recoverable audio from Saudi Arabia on 1521 kc but actually had to use the narrower bandwidth filter and tune up to 1523 kc.
KOA 850 kc Denver, CO was strong like a single hop station
KTNN 660 kc Window Rock, AZ with deep QSB.
KSL 1160 kc, SLC, UT with deep QSB.

These day and night time catches are comparable to my Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V Field transceiver using my inside two foot box loop. Note though, propagation last night was unusually good!

BTW reception did not improve using my two foot box loop, as far as signal strength and nulling capability. But the high Q LC circuit that makes up the loop did removed daytime intermodulation of the two above mentioned powerhouses and allowed me to run the RF gain control wide open.

In my personal opinion the radio is well worth $100 for AM and FM listening and semi serious DXing. On SW it's a dog and should be avoided for something with modern PLL circuitry and dual IF frequencies.

I hope that someone finds this review useful.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Plant City, FL, USA
27 58 33.676 N 82 09 51.674 W