Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 6:40 PM
Subject: [IRCA] WLAC

Here's an article some of you might be interested in. It was printed in the
Flagpole, a weekly music and entertainment paper in Athens, GA.

John R.
Had The Magic Touch

DeeJay's Voice
Brought Music Through The Night

Last column, I left y'all at the beach in South Carolina, listening to an
off-in-the-distance jukebox thump away. By now your conetopped can of
Atlantic Ale has gotten just as warm as our story line has grown cold. Let
me refresh you.

I was writing about the legendary John R. of Radio Station WLAC in
Nashville, TN. Although he was not the first deejay to popularize rhythm and
blues music on a 50,000-watt station, John R. became one of the most famous.
His career spanned nearly 30 years. He received 250,000 pieces of mail a
year, which clearly shows his popularity.