Re: [IRCA] Digital Recorders MP3 Technology. Advice sought.

Re: [IRCA] Digital Recorders MP3 Technology. Advice sought.

Charles,

Couldn't have been me at the Secret Mountain Lab...I would have been challenging the guards for the pizza.  Besides, I do my best covert work right out in the open, making sure someone else gets blamed for it!

I have had a Radio Shack DX-394 sitting on one side of my computers for many moons.  The other side has a Collins R-388/URR.  Neither of them had any problem with the Pentium or the Pentium III.  Its a different story with the Pentium 4.  It puts out noise on 590/600, 890/900, 1190/1200, 1490-1500.  By far, the biggest problem I had with RFI was not the computers, but the monitor.  Swapped out a 20-inch CRT-type for a 19-inch plasma and almost all problems went away.  Those that didn't are a function of aligning the monitor's viewing axis in conjunction with the loop antenna.  If you have RFI problems with a computer, see if you can change the angle of it with relation to the radio/antenna.

Now, where's my pizza?

Mike

Charles A & Leonor L Taylor <calltaylor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
=========================================================================================================
Michael Hawkins wrote:
Charles,

> Unless you are really hooked on the idea of a player/recorder as a
> standalone entity, you would be better off buying a software package
> to do the job. In the past, someone mentioned "Total Recorder"
> (http://www.highcriteria.com/) as a very highly regarded program.
> Price is $12-24 depending on options. There is also something called
> "Radio Your Way" (http://www.pogoproducts.com/radio_yourway.html" that
> is an external piece of hardware. Price is $200-250 (not counting
> discount availability). They both have advantages, but I personally
> would be more interested in "Total Recorder" as it has editing
> versatility built-in. All you would need to use it is a cable (and
> possibly an adapter) to hook a computer audio-in to the ra! dio's
> line-out or headphone jack.
> If you have a Windoze computer, you probably have SOUND RECORDER
> built-in. It will record WAV files (1 minute = 10 MB), and there are
> programs available to convert WAV to MP3. You can listen to MP3, WAV
> or SHN files in Winamp. SHN files require a special Winamp plug-in.
> Hope this helps!
> Mike Hawkins

Mike,

I'm gonna reach out and touch you. Hard. Hi. The best reason in the
world for a stand-alone recorder is to get the PC away from the
receiver. Far away. Hopefully in the next county. Jeeze. That ought to
be brutally evident. It is to me and the face on my driver's license
looks suspiciously like something I saw in the Evansville (Indiana) zoo.

That could disqualify a bunch of digital recorders too (generating RFI,
not looking like monkeys).

Humor aside, thanks for the advice above. As with most of us, editing of
MP3 and WAV files is going to be done on the PC.

What about that piece that appeared in QST?

And didn't you operate out of A Secret Mountain Laboratory years ago? I
wrote a ten-page letter to the CIA explaining that the most you
manufactured there is mischief and TVs with no displays. Most IRCAers
were cleared to enter. Pizzas assured that guards would look the other way.

Charles [Secret Agent 000]

--

------
Charles A & Leonor L Taylor