Re: [IRCA] IBOC receivers Re: KFYI-550 Phoenix IBOC

I feel the same way about HDTV. I don't see much reason to buy a new set if all it gets me in crisper versions of some -- but not all -- of the programming I already get. There isn't much value in, for example, being able to see Peter Jennings' pores, or CSI in photo-quality resolution. Worse, most of the cable channels I watch regularly aren't available in HD yet.

From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Hawkins
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:40 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] IBOC receivers Re: KFYI-550 Phoenix IBOC

And even if they match the prices of Sirius and XM, they are still only able to boast about all-digital Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, Dr. Laura et al.  Audiophile quality requires audiophile content to make it sell.  An analogy that comes to mind is someone selling high-end Klipsch audiophile speakers way back when.  They sure didn't play a 45 of "Louie Louie" to demo the speakers...they went to "1812 Overture" and a Sheffield Labs direct-to-disc recording by Pressure Cooker.  Those sold the speakers.  How will IBOC vendors make a compelling pitch?

Mike Hawkins

Tim Kridel <tkridel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Agreed. Another point of comparison is satellite radios. IBOC receivers need
to be closer to Sirius' and XM' prices in order to compete.