[IRCA] DX Tests QSL's

Some thoughts on DX Tests in general, and issues with QSL's...

At least during the recent past, both clubs have always offered to provide
QSL services to any station that does not wish to handle the chore. To
date, only two have taken us up on the offer.

In the future, we'll try to more "strongly suggest" that stations take that
option. However, I am always reluctant to see posts that
complain about the lack of a QSL response on the
e-mail lists. I think that anything that comes across as a complaint or
a demand on the part of DX'ers makes it more difficult to get
stations to test at all.

My goal as Broadcast Test Coordinator is to make it as easy
as possible for a station to say "yes" to a test request. Like
any negotiation that means making as few demands
on the other party as possible.

Members can rest assured that we always start off requesting
tests with plenty of advance notice, daytime power/pattern,
clear QSL routes, etc, etc. Sometimes we end up with
tests that don't meet our "perfect" scenario, but remain
grateful for whatever the station can provide.

I strongly believe that "beggars cannot be choosers". And
encourage members to treat stations with kid gloves when
approaching them about tests, QSLs, or suspected problems.
Try to be good ambassadors for our hobby at all times.

Likewise, I want to encourage all members to adapt to the
changing landscape of radio. DX'ers have to use new
tools, technology and techniques.

While IBOC, fewer tests, more stations per channel etc. all
make DXing more difficult these days, we also have a bevy
of new tools to combat those problems.

If you're not a member of the NRC "DX Tips" e-mail list, for
instance, shame on you! My cell phone routinely goes off
in the late evenings with tips from my fellow DX'ers. Alerting me
to many new stations that I otherwise might have missed.

When I'm at the dials, I also try to bring up #mwdx at
www.starchat.net. Identifying a station halfway across
the country is easy when you can compare notes with
someone closer to the station in real time. Plus it's
just tons of fun!

I use Total Recorder to capture TOH ID's every night of
the week, and www.1000000watts.com to help identify
those recordings the next day. Think of what
our members of 20 years ago could have accomplished
with these tools.

And most importantly, be thankful to those hard working,
under paid station engineers who put up with our
hobby. We're blessed to have many of them on
this list, and never want our comments to be
misunderstood.

I'd also like to thank the many members who have
approached their personal contacts within the
broadcast industry to help arrange for tests. If
you're interested in trying to set up a test in your
area for next season, please contact me first.
We can provide any interested member with all
kinds of tools including form letters, test material,
and QSL's. Our goal is to make it as easy
for the station as possible.

73 and Good DX,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator