[IRCA] 942, thank you too. Dirty old shoe!

Mike Hardester wrote:

>         Dang! Many thanks to ALL of you who advised me that my UNID is a
>wandering Cuban. Guess I can cross that off my list of "mystery carriers," hi!
>
>         Very 73 de Mike         :-)

Mike and Fellow Traveling DXer Zoo members,

Case in point. Apparently this Cuban has been on 942 kHz for a while and
isn't a wanderer.

This is the sort of thing I call a mystery, although the story won't
sell many books and surely won't launch a movie.

Why's it on 942 and has been there for a while? Maybe a PFM will give a
clue, maybe not.

One possible explanation is that an engineer, while working on the
transmitter, took a screwdriver to the little
trimmer there next to the crystal and didn't notice anything, and so
forgot it leaving it on 942.

Maybe the transmitter is old, this is an ovenized crystal, and the oven
is turned off (Gotta save juice sez the
Comandante), or is busted. Actual frequency will run about this high.

Maybe Radio Progreso got an old WWII surplus 942 kHz crystal from the
Soviets or the East Germans.
That's how a lot of Filipino stations got their crystals: a Army/Navy
surplus crystal, and they weren't
particular whether the crystal frequency matched the assigned frequency.
Give or take a few kHz
(literally) and unless the random frequency badly hetted some other
Filipino station on ITS WWII sur-
plus crystal, there they stayed for a looong time.

Fun to speculate. Ron Schatz might have made an attempt to find out for
himself, and gotten away with it!

73 de Agente 0000 Carlos

          ------
Charles A & Leonor L Taylor