[IRCA] More IBOC (KEX)

I hooked up the MFJ 1026 using my 40' vertical for phasing. In using the
EWE for KLAY-1180 signal (The beverage aims to the East nulling KLAY for
the most part, and KEX is stronger). After fiddling around and knocking
KEX's S9+15 DB signal down to S5 or less, the IBOC sideband hash is
pretty much gone, leaving a weaker but pretty much clean KLAY 1180. So
the daytime groundwave signal from IBOC can be phased, but even with all
of my equipment, it takes a bit of work. I can tell you right now, that
"if" IBOC gets to be all over the AM dial (In otherwords catches on and
goes 24/7), you can pretty much kiss long distance AM DX gone. Unless
you live away from it all, like the West side of Kauai, NFD, Northern
AK, etc. You will not beable to phase the noise enough at night to get
splits, unless the signals from the splits overpower the domestics. I
just hope and pray that AM IBOC will not work out and it will go the way
of Quad, at least on the AM band. FM, I think they may stick with it
there. But DXing the way we know it, will be a thing of the past. Now
DXpeditions to remote locations will probably increase and some DX will
be had that way as the signals will be much stronger. I think of how
many stations I have logged through the 40 years I have been at the
dials that were flea power S1/S2 signals. But they were logged because
the noise level was low, but with IBOC having an S8 signal on each side
of KEX which is S9+15, forget it. I just had to add my 2 cents. I have
not had much IBOC noise here in the NW. A bit of it on 730/750 from KCBS
CA, but that is it until now. I still don't see IBOC working out as the
QRM will be terrible on any adjacent station. Just think, when you get
two powerhouses side by side running IBOC. Neither will be heard outside
their local area. On my next trip to Portland, I will check out the KEX
IBOC signal in Portland. The nearest adjacents are 1150 and 1230. 1220
Salem also. But out here the IBOC hash is gone by the time you reach
1170 or 1210. But I am 75 air miles from KEX and over the Coast Range.

73s,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR