[IRCA] Ronald F Schatz, some initial writings

The Kaskey Family wrote:

>Tell us the story Uncle Cholly, about Little Red Schatzinghood and the
>Big Bad Fidel.  Ron was a good dxer and he was weird.  Those two
>combinations alone..........but tell us the story Uncle
>Cholly..............
>
>dkk

Donnie,

My last posting to IRCA started somewhere around RFS and ended up some
where in the Far East. Yeah, and RFS went over there in the Navy. He and
I were in the Navy at the same time, but he was assigned to frigates and
destroyers while I was assigned to a carrier and shore stations and an
amphibious station. I met up with him (while in the Navy) at Great Lakes
Naval Training Center (N. Chicago/Waukegan), again at Fire Control
Technician school, Vallejo, Calif. (a Navy FT is a technician for
shipboard weapons control systems), over at Naval Base Subic Bay
(Philippines); and corresponded with him at length before and after
Navy. Saw him at a few conventions.

Ron was weird. But I knew where he came from and where he was going. If
he had married successfully, I'll bet he and I would have become more
alike over the years.

RFS deserves some history-telling with the journalistic effort to be
placed in IRCA and NRC reprints.

Heck, just his short-term detention (in Cuba) by Ministry of Immigration
or Customs personnel is a story that is worth reading on all lists. Ron,
characteristically, wrote it all up when he got home.

What a position. I'll bet his own arguments while in detention (several
hours) were taken with respect and a certain deference. To degrunch him
with the Cuban gov't would have some interesting ramifications with the
US gov't. He held a Top Secret clearance in the Navy and was just a type
that probably could do business with the Cuban government. Even his
detention must have benefited both.

And I knew him.

Charlie

--