Re: [IRCA] Greenland

At 08:15 AM 4/19/2005, you wrote:
>There was a report on HCDX a couple of weeks ago about
>Greenland. All of the MW stations will be closed down
>because of the age of the transmitters, cost of maintaining
>them, power costs and diminishing audience, etc.
>
>I don't recall an exact time frame but believe in the next
>year or two. Maybe I can find the original posting.
>
>The 1425 used the "call letters" "KOLD" and was heard
>from time to time in various parts of the U.S. I believe even
>in Fla. by Ron Schatz. I had carrier but no audio a couple of
>times from NJ. It was at one of the AF bases used by SAC
>back in the cold war days.
>
>- Bob

That's only half the story, Bob.  The reason for the closure is the short
range of the MW transmitters and the high cost of the power for the 5 kw
transmitters.  They plan on going back to SW, with a single transmitter to
cover the entire country and fishing fleet.........Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC