Re: [IRCA] Greenland

> >I believe you and I may have discussed this on another list a couple
of
> >years ago, but did you ever log Greenland on MW while you were
stationed in
> >Iceland?
>
> Conditions were once so good, Paul, that Greenland was logged in
Victoria,
> B.C.   It didn't hurt that it was a split frequency though (1425 kHz,
> Thule).  I think it was heard even further afield than here...
>
> best wishes,
>
> Nick

There was a report on HCDX a couple of weeks ago about
Greenland. All of the MW stations will be closed down
because of the age of the transmitters, cost of maintaining
them, power costs and diminishing audience, etc.

I don't recall an exact time frame but believe in the next
year or two. Maybe I can find the original posting.

The 1425 used the "call letters" "KOLD" and was heard
from time to time in various parts of the U.S. I believe even
in Fla. by Ron Schatz. I had carrier but no audio a couple of
times from NJ. It was at one of the AF bases used by SAC
back in the cold war days.

- Bob