Re: [IRCA] CAL. DEAD STATION LIST

Mike

You've obviously been doing some great research there.

A few comments:

I believe 1480 Lakewood was dark for a while after KOOD, and then became KLAY, which later moved to 1180.  There's still a station there, KNTB, though it's just barely surviving and mostly //KBRO 1490

KGIB was before I became a radio addict, but the allocation moved a few miles east to Bellevue as KBVU in the early 60s, then went dark in about 1966, then KFKF Bellevue moved to 1540 from 1330 circa 1970.  1330 was vacant for many years but eventually it went to KENU in Enumclaw, about 50 miles south of Bellevue.  1540 Bellevue meanwhile has been through at least a half dozen call changes and countless formats since the early 70s.

As far as I know Sequim 1520 and West Richland 1600 never made it on the air.

KREN went dark in the very early 70s, and a few years later became KSCR (South County Radio).  I can't recall if KSCR went dark, but in the 1980s it became KRIZ, and is still active.

KPMA was physically moved from Tacoma to Silverdale, WA in the 1980s.  I believe it was dark for a while during the move, and again for a while in the mid 90s(?) after it became KITZ, but it's been back for quite a while.

I'm not sure how some of these stations show up in the FCC records.  The old licenses for some of them could easily have lapsed before they *returned* to the air as something completely different.  Anyway, it's fun trying to trace the evolution of some of these stations.

Bruce

Bruce,

When you get to it, data is gladly accepted.  The 1440/Spokane morphed into the 1550/Opportunity station, then morphed into darkness.  Also add:

KFHA/1480/Lakewood (59-63) - died as KOOD (1971-73)
KGIB/1540/Bremerton (50) - died in 1958-59
KGWB/1600/West Richland (84) - died as KZUN (88-90)
KJSM/1520-Sequim (84-86) - died in 1988-90
KREN/1420/Renton (59-66) - died in 1968-71
KTNT/1400/Tacoma (48) - died as KPMA (84-86)
KVAN/910/Vancouver (39) - died as KISN (75-79)

Washington is much more stable than California, and I guess you can take that one any way your mind wants to at the time.  By the way, I left out any pre-WW2 activity.  If you were going from memory, you know Washington radio pretty well!

Mike Hawkins
--- Begin Message ---

--- End Message ---