Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Why? It's easy.

The trouble is that receivers are expensive, and that XM doesn't offer the programming I'm looking for. Sirius isn't that much better, even though they offer WRN (World Radio Network). Satellite radio is NOT DX; it is a local station in the United States. I prefer the higher quality shortwave programming; you won't get Radio Netherlands, Radio Australia, Radio Taiwan International or even the Voice of America on satellite radio.

The thing that got me over to shortwave was the cost: $0 per month. Satellite radio is $20 per month; money I'd rather spend on fuel, with gas prices in the St. Louis area hovering around $2.15 per gallon. Shortwave is far better, and offers far more choices, even language lessons. You can't get language lessons on satellite radio.

73, Eric (N0UIH)