[IRCA] The Future of DX Tests (Long)

This post is long and I apologize, but think that
it needs to be said. Please feel free to publish
my remarks in any of the club bulletins.
=====================================

I completely agree with Paul Smith's recent
comments on the NRC reflector. He
cautioned DX'ers about complaining about
DX tests that were conducted with short notice
or limited publicity.  In my viewpoint, all DX'ers need
an attitude adjustment when it comes to our relationship with the
stations.

Two weeks ago, I attempted to schedule a DX test with a
station on the West Coast, only to be told a horror story
by the engineer. Another station in his group was cited
by the FCC after a DX'er complained that they were
"cheating" on their nighttime power.

Even if the complain was valid, that DX'er affected
the attitude of not only that station's staff, but also
of other engineers and station managers within the group.
All of whom had received memo's about the incident.

I'm also aware that Clear Channel's legal department
has questioned the entire practice of "DX Tests" because
they fear complaints from other stations who might
receive interference during the event. Lawyers always
err on the side of caution, and if Clear Channel
were to adopt a policy to not hold DX tests it would
have a large impact on future testing.

Such a step would almost certainly cause other legal
departments to review their policies. Can you see
where this going?

In a perfect world, engineers would test with plenty
of notice, testing for hours at a time, with the
program material that we want, etc. They'd
print up pretty QSL cards, and send them out
quickly after the event.

But we don't live in a perfect world. Many engineers have
to manage maintenance on multiple stations. Most
stations are automated at least to some extent.

Ad revenue during the overnight hour is viewed as
being important to the bottom line; and management
certainly doesn't understand the need to lose
revenue for a test.

Fewer engineers are ham radio operators, or DX'ers.
So they don't understand what all the fuss is about.

In short, we are beggars. We need to approach
stations with a humble and thankful attitude.

Playing "cop" and complaining about less than
perfect tests can only hurt us all.

Allow me instead to suggest some positive
actions that DX'ers can take:

1. Cultivate personal contacts with radio station
engineers and management. Use those contacts
to educate them about DXing...and why it's
such a great hobby.

Reach out to those contacts for DX tests. Please use
the letters on my web site for guidance:
http://www.highnoonfilm.com/amdx

If possible, try to schedule the test a few
weeks or more in advance. Let myself and
Fred V. know, and we'll get the word out.

2. When asking for a test, take the extra steps
to make it possible. Provide the station with
test material. You can download a small
program called "WinMorse" from my site
as well. This makes it easy to generate CW ID's.

Include the NRC sweep tones and burn them onto
a CD. You can find lots of test material
on my web site. Feel free to include it on the CD.
Take that with you when you ask for the test.
Offer to handle QSL chores.

If you can't do this or don't want to. Let me know.
I'll be happy to do anything to support these tests.

3. When a station tests, always drop them an e-mail or
card thanking them for the test, even if you don't hear it.
Many on the lists are great about this...and I know it
helps. Look at the number of repeat tests we have.
That is based on the station or it's staff having
a positive experience.

4. If for some reason, you feel compelled to complain
about a station that is "cheating"..I suggest you
reconsider. If you still feel compelled, then
contact the station that is "cheating", and leave
a nice message stating that you think there might
be a problem with their automation. Be nice.

Don't expect the situation to change quickly. It
may take days for your message to reach someone
who will understand it. Longer still for an engineer
to actually look into the problem.

If you insist on contacting the FCC or being
rude, just identify yourself as a listener. Tell them
that you're trying to hear polka music on a station
three states away. Don't mention DXing, your
radio club, etc. Do the rest of us that favor.

Otherwise, we may all someday be nostalgic for
the good ole days when stations transmitted Morse
Code in the middle of night, just for some nut
half a world away who was trying to hear them.

When you think about it, it's amazing that anyone
would agree to do us this great favor at all.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
IRCA CPC Chairman

Les Rayburn, director