[IRCA] Re: Cardinals Going to XM Radio?

Terry,

This is 2005...and American broadcasting is becoming more and more like Soviet broadcasting, but with a corporate bent. I do think before I speak...therefore, you are insulting my intelligence.

Back in 1982, the radio business had far more owners, and was still fairly pro-local. They had real vision for the business. In 2005, radio has become anti-local (right down to corporate radio's disdain for "homegrown" talent, or air talent born, raised and/or trained for the broadcast business in their hometown, and should be working exclusively in their hometowns), and have NO VISION for the radio business.

I went into the radio field 20 years ago to give back to the St. Louis community for what it gave me...a chance to become a more productive citizen. I worked at some of the smaller stations in St. Louis and Atlanta; I didn't get my first commercial job until 1996. When the last commercial station I worked at was sold off by local owners in 1999, that put an end to the commercial phase of my career. I'm lucky I still work in public radio; I never had a chance to work in corporate radio. Now, when I look at the atrocities that corporate radio is getting away with, as well as the excessive practice of patronage and cronyism, in which the friends, acquaintances and even relatives of station management get in while more qualified personnel who have worked hard for years (or even decades) to earn their place in commercial broadcasting are unjustly left out.

Don't refer to the 50 kW stations as "clear channel" stations...Lowry Mays can sue you, and clean you out.

73, Eric (N0UIH)