[IRCA] Don Trelford-RIP

This sad news came from Saul Chernos of WTFDA:

Sad news. Just received a phone call from Don Trelford's wife, Doreen. Don passed away on Sunday, January 16. Don did not DX FM or TV but he was a long-time DXer and some of you may know him, thus my post here.

Over the last few months, his emphysema and related heart troubles took their toll. Don was on oxygen for the last month or so, and I visited him twice in December in Toronto - once in hospital just before New Years Eve, and a week later at their home in Toronto, where I got him some wire and helped him set up his new ICOM R75. He'd just bought the rig with a view to improving his DX set-up back in Jamaica, where he and Doreen spent most of their time.

Don badly wanted to return to Jamaica, and got his wish in early January. He passed away a week later, of pulmonary emphysema. Doreen was with him.

The family is presently arranging a memorial service in Toronto sometime soon. I will post information about that as soon as I hear anything - I anticipate hearing from Don's son, who lives in the Toronto area, within a few days.

Don was a long-time member of both the Ontario DX Association and the National Radio Club, and attended many club events and conventions.

Though we touched base here and there over the last couple of years, and I saw him at some ODXA events, we crossed paths more often over the past few months. It was during our last visit, just before he and Doreen returned to Jamaica, that I met Doreen, his wife of 38 years.

I keep all my DX gear at Burnt River, but salvaged about 20 feet of wire from a shortwave antenna reel that came with an old portable radio, and hooked it up to Don's R-75. There was terrible interference in their downtown Toronto apartment, so I strung the wire out the back and over the balcony. So, here we were, listening to Cuba on 890, solid signal overwhelming WLS Chicago, when the radio started moving off the table. Don held the radio while I tugged at our end of the wire. Seems a neighbour one storey below found the wire dangling while shovelling snow off her balcony. She was not amused. We ended up tying the outside end to the railing, and Doreen, Don and I had a good laugh.

A charming man, bitten by the DX bug like the rest of us, and with wonderful stories to tell about a life that was truly varied and interesting. I'll miss him!

Please feel free to contact me for any further information. Doreen plans to return to Toronto for the memorial. Please address any inquiries to me directly at schernos@xxxxxxxxxxxx , but do note that I will wait until arrangements are made before posting details, including a contact address for the family if the family wants that. I will post information here when I know.

Saul Chernos