From: "WWWR" <wwwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "NRC" <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [IRCA] Re: XM Indoors
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:25:09 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

The Delphi plan for an XM signal repeater (described below) is interesting.

Something I have not seen mentioned anywhere is that there already exists an
alternate delivery mechanism for XM Radio. In addition to the satellite
signal, there is a terrestrial signal. The XM receiver can select whichever
source is delivering the currently best data. I think this is available
only in major metro areas and intended primarily to deal with building
obstructions. I imagine the signal I receive is intended for either the
Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale areas, where taller buildings abound. Since
my satellite antenna is aimed at a fairly high angle - near the equator as I
am - the problem of buildings in the line of sight is less here anyway, were
there any.

In fact, my XM PCR reports three different signal strengths, east and west
satellite, and terrestrial. Most of the time, the terrestrial signal is the
strongest at my location, but only by a little over the east coast satellite
The terrestrial signal seems to have the widest level swings of the two.
Not surprisingly, the west coast satellite signal is substantially the
weakest.

I have no idea where the terrestrial signal originates in my area, nor do I
know if all XM radios can receive the signal.  Interestingly, following our
rash of hurricanes this past season, the terrestrial signal all but
disappeared for a while, even beyond the week long power outage we
experienced here.  It has dropped out briefly at other times too, but the
satellite just keeps on chugging.

Does anyone else have experience with or knowledge of these XM Radio
terrestrial signal sources?

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, Florida