[IRCA] Clear Channel ads

It has been mentioned here that Clear Channel announced they would reduce
the amount of advertising on their stations.  Monday, at the beginning of
his program, Rush Limbaugh discussed the new "broadcast clock" for the show.
 He said the longest "spot breaks" would reduce from 4-1/2 to 3-1/2 minutes.
 So it seems that for now at least, CC was serious.

An interesting affect of this locally is that WIOD - which had been severely
compressing program content - was back broadcasting with no compression.  I
switched from WIOD to WJNO because the compression had gotten so bad it was
difficult to follow the content.  Now the two signals are in perfect sync.
I had written WIOD to complain about their compression and told them and
WJNO I was switching stations.  WJNO was gracious in welcoming me aboard.
My complaint drew an acknowledgement from the WIOD program director, but no
change.  Thanks to CC's new policy, at least for now there is the expected
reduction in ad minutes as well as the elimination of compression to stuff
in even more.  Obviously this could change at any moment, but for now it's
nice.

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, Florida