Re: [IRCA] Barrow, Alaska... good DX site?

Re: [IRCA] Barrow, Alaska... good DX site?

Brandon

I knew a couple of people who went there on business once. They described Barrow as like being on another planet. Ice caked around the electric wires & long hours of darkness during winter. I remember one of them telling me about the sewer system. Due to low temperatures and ground conditions, it's a pneumatic system (sort of like on airplanes) that sucks the stuff through the system. At least that's how I remember what they told me 10 years ago. I realize this has nothing to do with DXing, but I happened to think of it after reading your question....

As for DX, it would probably be either very good or very bad depending on what the aurora was doing. There was a DXer named Brian Vernon who DXed from the Yukon about 20 years ago and heard some amazing stuff from central Asia, India, the middle east, Europe, etc on medium wave. I think he was using beverage antennas. If you're in Barrow you may not have that luxury, and there may be all sorts of electrical noise. It just depends.....

Bruce

Brandon Jordan wrote:

I am contemplating a job offer in Barrow, Alaska. Think it would be a
good DX QTH?

73,
Brandon