[IRCA] Why CW? Yea, Doug!

Congratulations again to Doug Pifer on passing his test!

I have been a BCB DXer basically since birth. My Dad DXed AM radio and introduced me to it.

The question was raised "Why CW?"

It is a fine skill that takes practice and expertise. When you operate in this mode you join a select club of people who are passionate about radio. It is also an amazing way to communicate. I operate
QRPp with milliwatt transmitters and work all over the world. My current favorite is a Tuna Tin 2 that pumps out about 300 milliwatts (a third of one watt). I have contacted people from half of America and Canada and several countries using this design using just two 2N2222 transistors. That's it! It is the ultimate in DX. I also use old Heathkit gear and a bunch of other low power gear I have built. I have had many QSOs where the total output power of both stations involved does not exceed a one watt. It's great fun!

I am an active code teacher. If you would like some help, please feel free to contact me at karlzuk@xxxxxxxxxxxx If you know the code, BCB DX tests and long wave beacon hunting become a breeze. No more looking up what those dots and dashes mean on a chart! Doug's right: A great place to start is sending code over the Internet. Contact me for details.

I would really like to see a ham radio on-the-air get together. Any interest out there?

Happy trails and have fun, Karl Zuk N2KZ

Yea, Doug!!!!