Re: [IRCA] Microscan 1030 kHz

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon Jordan" <bjordan@xxxxxxxx>
To: <aelehr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 4:46 AM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Microscan 1030 kHz

> Hi Albert--
>
> I am extremely curious about your frequency measurement system. Could you
> please provide some brief details on the setup?
>
> 73,
> Brandon Jordan
> Memphis, TN

Brandon,
I recall that you asked about my PFM system about two years ago
on the NRC list, and I replied to that list.
Since a few others are also curious, here is a brief explanation of my
frequency measurement system.
It will work only with a single conversion receiver such as my Allied
A-2515 and requires outputs from the local oscillator and the final
455 kHz IF stage.  Other requirements are an external synchronous
detector, a frequency counter and an accurate and stable timebase
generator.
All of the circuitry needed to produce a measureable signal for the
counter is located in the sync detector unit.  Quite a bit of construction
work is involved.
A 455 kHz Voltage Controlled Oscillator in a phase-locked loop
locks on to the carrier in the IF channel. The VCO output and the
local oscillator output are converted to pulses and both are sent to a
Digital Timing and Gating circuit.  For every pulse that is present in the
VCO branch, one pulse is removed from the local oscillator branch.
The resulting output of the DTG circuit is a pulse train with missing
pulses scattered throughout it.  It is somewhat like walking alongside
a picket fence and periodically removing a picket. A frequency counter
connected to the output displays the exact frequency of the station you
are tuned to. I am using a homebrew external time base generator with
my frequency counter.  It is phase-locked to WWVB on 60 kHz.

A more detailed description appeared in the IRCA Technical Column
in the hard copy DX Monitor for January 2, 1999.

Albert Lehr - Livermore, CA