Re: [IRCA] Re: Radio Marti 1710

I think it is fair to say that this is NOT a harmonic. A harmonic is
radiated from the xmtr. It appears to be a mixing artifact in the
receiver. This is the significance of my having heard three of
them at once, all on adjacent frequencies, with mathematically
consistently related  "source" frequencies.

A harmonic would appear somewhat consistently, since one
would expect the xmtr characteristics which cause the harmonic
would not vary from night to night. Especially in such a range
as either on or off.

If this is mixing/crossmod/whatever in the receiver, then some
unknown factor appears to be switching this effect on and off.
But then the idea that different DXers hear it at different times
stops making sense, unless the different DXers are listening
at very random times.

Perhaps the first thing to do is establish whether or not each
receiver that experiences this is (1) synthesized tuning and
(2) uses a 450 kHz IF and not 455 kHz. You can test this by
tuning the subject receiver to 1000 and holding another one
next to it tuned to 1450 and listening for the interference from
the local oscillator. (Or use any other similar pair).

If someone hears this artifact signal on an analog tuned set
such as a HQ-180 them this whole idea gets shot out of the
water and another explanation has to be sought.

Bob