[HCDX] Logs for Al Muick 11 November

QTH:	Afghanistan
RX:	WinRadio G303e
ANT:	200m randomwire
ACC:	Palstar MW-550P mediumwave preselector

873	INDIA, AIR Jalandhar, Northern Program heard with subcontinental mx
and Hindi talk at 23.15 on 11 Nov.  On before Bangladesh Betar and very good
signal strength.  Didn't think they were on this early.  AIR website gives
no clue as to regional mediumwave hours.

1170	PAKISTAN, PBC heard w/EG service at 16.05 on 11 Nov. w/nx by YL and
OM annxr trying to be "hip."  Stomping signal with new antenna and 100kW.
//1152

1440	SAUDI ARABIA, BSKSA, heard 14.22 on 11 Nov. w/AR call-in show,
apparently discussing the Koran.  Powerhouse 1600kW pegs the meter every
night.  Second carrier underneath it in what appeared to be a local
language.  Possible R. Nangahar, Jalalabad on extended schedule?  BSKSA
signal surged at 14.37 and was constant.  Increase in power just before call
to prayer?

1494	IRAN, R. Iran from Maku heard at 14.14 on 11 Nov with FS call-in
show with YL announcer.  Good signal with only 20 kW but deep fades.  Quite
the pile-up on this freq., including R. Jordan and several LP CH stations.

1548	IRAN, R. Iran from Zabol heard at 13.27 on 11 Nov. with Koran chants
and good signal with MW-550P.  Rated at 50kW

1575	UAE, R. Farda in FS with pop FS music and YL DJ.  Good strong sigs
into Kabul at 13.20 on 11 Nov.

Well, yesterday I went out after work and cleaned and checked the antenna,
adding another 100m of wire to it, but now it is truly randomwire and not a
longwire.  The genset maintenance people are due here today to properly
ground the genset and I plan to dig the ground pit on Friday.  I found a
broken portion of the existing antenna which had electrically shortened my
antenna to about 45m, and having repaired that and adding the new length, I
went down to check the levels.

The bands were so much more alive than they had been before and weak signals
were now up to usable level.  The noise level had also dropped, so I think
I'm stepping in the right direction here.  Happily spent the evening
piddling around on mediumwave and plan to do more DX this evening after
work.

73 de Al

"Life is a lot like golf! It's all about recovery! You can make three
bad shots then one good and you win!"
  - Doctor Walter Belford - conversations, December 2006

Order your WRTH 2008: