[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 11, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 11, 2008

** AUSTRALIA. Re my previous report of marine weather for Tasmania on 6507-SSB at 1235: Jari Savolainen and Ron Howard point out that it`s now VMC in Queensland; see schedules at http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/marine_weather_radio.shtml
I believe all the other Australian stations I mentioned from the 2002 listings were replaced by only two stations, VMC and VMW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA [and non]. CFRX check Sept 11: at 1111, CVC Chile with fast SAH, estimated 10 Hz, likely caused by CFRX. At 1218, Japanese was heard on 6070, again with a fast SAH from CFRX. That would be V. of Korea, which is in Japanese at 109 degrees from 0900 to 1250 or so, additional significant QRM to CFRX, indeed blockage, in C&W NAm during those hours. My previous chex of 6070 a few minutes before 1300 had missed it, when CVC was presumably still traceable before it closed.

A closer look at all the other known inhabitants of 6070, which could bother CFRX. Of course, those in the local daytime are less likely to be a problem, but increasingly so as winter comes on, especially in northern Ontario, presumably the prime target of CFRX. This info is derived from EiBi, Aoki, PWBR, WRTH, HFCC, some of which is contradictory:

0200-0100 Belarusian R., Brest, DS, 5 kW; winter 0300-0200 [PWBR]
0300-2100 Belaruskoye Radio 1, with Brest program M-F 15-16 [EiBi]
0600-0900 ELWA Liberia, 1 kW [DSWCI says 0530-0800]
0700-1230 RRI Jayapura, 50 kW [presumably inactive; see also 2100]
0900-1250 V of Korea, Japanese, 125 kW, 109 degrees; 1050-1100 break
1100-1230 R. Thailand, 10 kW ND, SE Asian languages [unconfirmed? This
          used to be a domestic service relay; PWBR says winter only,
          1100-1245 from Pathum Thani site]
1330-1400 R. Rossii, Samara, Russia site, 250 kW, 58 degrees, B-season
1400-1430 FEBC Philippines, 100 kW to SE Asia, Mon/Wed-Sat; winter
          [PWBR]. Four Vietnamese tribal languages [EiBi]
1400-1700 V. of Russia, Novosibirsk, 500 kW, 180 degrees, S Asian
          languages until 1600 English
1500-1700 TWR Swaziland, 100 kW to S Africa [listed in PWBR only]
1600-1700 WYFR via Armavir, Russia site, 250 kW, 110 degrees, B-season
1600-1800 Brest, Belarus, 5 kW ND [Aoki]
1600-2300 ELWA Liberia, 1 kW [DSWCI says 1730-2300]
1700-1900 CRI Xi`an, Russian, 500 kW, 292 degrees, winter only
2100-0500 RRI Jayapura 50 kW DS, temp. inactive; also 0700-1200 [PWBR]
2200-2300 RRI Tiganesti, Spanish to Europe, 247 degrees, B-season only
2300-1300 CVC La Voz, Miami via Chile 100 kW 30 degrees [B-season
          0000-1200]

All of this should help make the case that CFRX really needs a better, clearer frequency, perhaps in the less-crowded OOB area 5700-5800 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA [non]. 6040, CRI via Sackville with China Drive DS relay, Sept 11 at 1107 with M&W hosts inviting texts to 1066 9191 985 from people who have decided not to commit suicide. Yes, that was the subject of the day, apparently spurred by Suicide Prevention Day. Certainly a change of pace from CRI`s external service. Mark spoke English while Ilan [sp?] mixed English with Chinese. Broke for weather forecast from the point of view of morning in Beijing, so I wondered if this was delayed from earlier, or maybe was referring to morning in Boston for which weather forecast was also given. Then talked about table tennis match in Paralympix, about to start in 20 minutes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. At 1116, when 31m was not fully open, WWCR 9980 weak, and only Australia strong, there was a fair carrier with het on 9600 but no modulation audible. Could it be XEYU coming back? Not likely, since carrier was exactly on 9600.0 and the het was on the hi side, not the low side, where XEYU resided around 9599.3v when last heard. At 1139, 9600 was barely parallelable to 6180, so definitely RHC, and no more het. By 1200, the RHC 9600 signal was in solid, but very undermodulated. We still wonder whence the carrier around 9601? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** HONDURAS. Two gospel huxters were trying to outdo each other in the same way. Sept 11 at 1123, Radio Luz y Vida on 3250.0 had OM preacher in American English with consecutive translation by YL into Spanish but she had a heavy gringo accent. Alternated with very short phrases, and I assume she was actually next to him during the sermon, rather than something inserted later.

Then I tuned to 3340 for Radio MI, and found another American OM preacher in English, also being consecutively translated into Spanish by a YL, but she speaks much better Spanish. Perhaps this is the way they like to get their non-Catholic religion in Honduras? Would it be conceivable for the original to be preached by a woman and the translation by a man? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. I was awake early Thursday Sept 11, so checked out R. Educación, 6185, where Harry Helms heard something in -dad after 1000 on the same day of week in August, but says he was not hearing it on Wed Sept 10. XEPPM may be irregular, not on SW the day before, but it certainly was Sept 11. If Harry can`t hear it in Corpus Christi, he may be in the skip zone at that low-MUF hour, while at roughly twice the distance from DF, I am not.

1053 tune in to VG signal with music, but almost immediately into talk for the rest of the hour. Live host mentioned program name ``Del Campo y de la Ciudad``, which is on the XEEP-AM schedule Wed & Thu 1000-1200. All in Spanish. Mentioned the 9/11 anniversary in the US, but it`s also the anniversary of the US-sponsored assassination of Pres. Salvador Allende in Chile. Enumerated chronology of Allende`s life, and introduced recording off the air of his last speech, from Radio Magallanes, and it was also on R. Corporación, but interrupted himself at 1101 to despedirse from 6185, referring listeners to MW 1060 or internet to continue listening, and 6185 turned off just before the clip was to start!

Unfortunately, I was not prepared to switch to MW or Internet, so that was that. He said nothing about SW coming back on around 1400, as it did the day before. All along until 1102*, 6185 had a low het because XEPPM is off-frequency, perhaps against China Huayi. Recheck at 1434, local noise sources were on so I could not be positive, but could detect a carrier on 6185 so may have come back again in daytime Sept 11 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: