[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 6-7, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 6-7, 2008

** GERMANY [non]. DW, 6075 at 0118 August 7 was overridden by two US stations in English, which I soon determined were WWCR as on 7465, and local KCRC 1390 sportstalk in Enid producing a 10 Hz SAH. 7465 minus 1390 = 6075. This was a local overload problem since I had clipped on a longwire to the DX-398 whip, and it disappeared as I turned down the RF gain, but that was too low for much of a signal from DW. I mention this only because others might encounter similar anomalies, not because anyone else would be able to hear it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** HUNGARY. Magyar Radio confirmed on new 5940 to NAm, August 7 at 0113 in Hungarian during 1-hour broadcast, with QRM from WWCR/DGS 5935, but at least no longer co-channel collision with Cuba on 5965, which had been going on for months. Cuba in Spanish still there // 6140 at 0123 check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** IRAN. V. of Justice [sic], Aug 7 at 0131 on 9495 giving schedule on SW and satellite, also mentioning 7235 so I checked that: a bit stronger there but with lite ham QRM on the sides. 0132 into Qur`an, as always, before getting on with the business of America-bashing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MAURITANIA. I listened to R. Mauritanie`s webcast off and on Aug 6 via http://wm-live.abacast.com/radio_mauritania-wm-32?.wma  Heard segments in vernacular, French and Arabic at unpredictable intervals, as well as characteristic music. The French seemed to be repeating an announcement about the coup, mentioning Muhammed Abdul Aziz. Stuttering feed perhaps caused by overloaded circuits, 16 kHz/16 kbps says the Winamp. At 0104 UT Aug 7 I looked for 4845 but heard nothing but the ute QRM. Even before the coup it was quite irregular. Webcast still funxioning at 0420 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. I checked out a number of RRI transmissions August 6 into UT August 7, now that new 300 kW Continental transmitters are operating from Galbeni. Reference to the schedule compiled by Wolfgang Büschel. During some of the broadcasts two good frequencies were audible, so apparently both new transmitters are funxional, altho the previously cited apology on their website still appears.

22-23 English: at 2242, poor on 9790, too close for comfort to Sackville DRM 9795-9800-9805. Others inaudible: 11940, 9645, 7185 --- the latter was reported yesterday with the new transmitter, good in Europe but too early to make it here in summer.

23-24 Spanish: 9745; 9655, 11880, 11935 – I missed this one

00-01 English: at 0017, 11790 was G to VG with wonderful folk music, ID. No CCI or ACI. A winner. Not audible on 9775.

00-01 Romanian: at 0018, 9525 G, M&W talking in Romanian. No 11960.

01-02 Romanian: at 0105, 9525 still good, RRI ID, nothing heard on 11960.

01-02 French: at 0106, 6130 VG with news about Romania. No ACI or CCI. Something too weak to ID on 9575 squeezed between two different programs in English of CRI and CRI.

02-03 Spanish: at 0235, G on 5975; something else on 9645; not heard on 9520 or 11945.

03-04 English: at 0330, VG on 6150, eclipsing BBC Ascension 6145, but some side QRM from it so helps to tune slightly to hi side. Doesn`t sound like RRI --- because it`s Network Europe, as announced in mid-program after a segment on human rights. To be positive it was really RRI, I caught the closing at 0355 mentioning broadcasts to North America an SE Asia, IS and off.

I can`t find any program schedule on the website http://www.rri.ro and the page ``what`s on this week`` is blank. Furthermore, winter timings one hour off are still shown for the English broadcasts on the right margin! For that matter, there`s no frequency schedule either, truncated as it may be during the transition period, not even a link to one on the English page. There is a link to one on the French page but it`s blank. Nor anything about Network Europe on the English page, tho there is a link to Euranet on the Spanish page. Their website needs a lot of rectification! Nothing heard on 9645, 9735 or 11895
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. VOR, 15425 via Pet-Kam, August 7 at 0111 was quoting the station`s head about Olympic coverage, in English, Russian and Chinese via their portal. Good signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WRNO, 7505, August 7 at 0125 check, Mawire preaching. Good audio, but who wants to listen to yet another egocentric preacher who imagines he`s in touch with God? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WWCR, 7465, had talk show a few minutes earlier, but Aug 7 at 0126 for at least a minute or two was broadcasting a telephone busy signal at the rate of approximately two per second. Huge signal also contributed to receiver overload mix on 6075; see GERMANY [non] (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Brother Scare may have pulled out of 5110 and 9330, but he`s still at odd times on WBCQ 7415, e.g. UT Thursday Aug 7 as I tuned by at 0127 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: