[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs June 3-5, 2008

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. CVC, normally dominant on 11665 here was rather weak at 0204 check June 5, and with SAH of about 10 Hz from a station playing ME music --- presumed R. Solh via UAE, as scheduled and just confirmed in England by Mike Barraclough until 0600. I believe they switch to 11675 from 0600 until 1200, also UAE, then 1200-1800 17700 via Skelton (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. CKZU, 6160, holding up rather late across daytime path, June 4 at 1312 ending CBC news with perpetual plug for Sirius 137 --- but they never mention 6160!! Into local morning show Early Edition with weather for Vancouver and area, hi 18. Weaker than NZ next door on 6170 but no QRM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. RHC 11680, also gets buzzed by MOI Kuwait DRM 11670-11675-11680, at 0205 UT June 5. Could escape most of it by stepping DX-398 up to 11683 in wide bandwidth (as narrow loses RHC too), but what does RHC do to Kuwait? Good strong signal from them, but search of drmna yg finds no mention of it since February; not making much of an impact. For one thing, it`s only in Arabic, which kinda limits their potential audience in NAm. And I believe people have complained about the low bitrate.

RHC, 13760, rather weak at 0210 June 5 in Spanish, with fast SAH of some 15 Hz, much like I have heard earlier in the day. This is during one-hour IBB break between Udorn and Saipan usage of 13760, but VOK is scheduled straight thru including Spanish too on 28 degrees at 0200. My congratulations to the Commies and the Commies for getting that close to the same frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI back again on 9526, June 3 at 1332, mostly music during Korean hour; fair. Ditto June 4, romantic song at 1320 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1411, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH [and non]. 9940, June 4 at 1318 with jamming pulses mixing with Korean. That`s North Korea Reform Radio, scheduled daily via Tainan, Taiwan, at 2 degrees, 1300-1330 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA [and non]. Quick check of some VOR English to NAm frequencies, June 5 at 0213: 9480 Germany VG, 9860 Vatican good, 15425 Pet-Kam fair (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SRI LANKA. 15745, June 5 at 0208 weak, fluttery talk, seemed English, into music. Wish I had time to dig deeper, but it must be the only station scheduled here, SLBC, Ekala, 35 kW and 350 degrees per Aoki (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. Tuesday June 3 at 0637 I was surprised to hear Russian on 5920, so is it R. Rossii, Kamchatka, scheduled 22 hours a day? But the signal is too strong, and no QRM from WBOH. In fact, the modulation is crummy, so it must be WBOH! Yes, on their schedule M-F at 0635 for 5 minutes is ``The Spoken Word of God – in Russian``, 0640-0700 not being accounted for. But at 0639 went to kids` hymn in English with piano accompaniment, and clinching the ID, // WTJC 9370; 0641 ``How Great Thou Art,`` in English, not ``Kak Tebye Li`` (sp?) as I used to hear it rendered in Russian on HCJB.

The weekday program schedule at http://www.fbnradio.com/new_page_copy(1).htm
does not flag any other programming during the 24 hours as not being in English. Nothing on Saturday either, but on Sunday there are quarter-hours of Spanish ``Word of Life`` at 1000 and UT Monday 0030. The schedule must be in EDT of UT-4, tho not specified by this so-called international broadcaster. In winter it would be UT -5.

I just lucked into the Russian bit, but I had been wondering about Chuck Bolland`s log of Russia on 5920 at 1000 Monday June 2, with no mention of WBOH QRM, even tho it is aimed 170 degrees toward him, but he did report R. Rossii IDs, and thinks WBOH must have been off (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1411, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. Checking WRMI, 9955, June 3: DentroCuban Jamming Command grind went off at 1401*; WRMI came on with R. Prague in English a semi-minute later, but only poor signal. At 1959, 9955 was JBA with fades but WRN ID heard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: