[HCDX] SOMALIA: police once again closed Shabelle

Press statement Detention of our Shabelle director and ransack of our
studio equipments.
Submitted by warka on Sun, 03/02/2008 - 18:02.
http://www.shabelle.net/wararka/2008-mar-02/press-statement-detention-
our-shabelle-director-and-ransack-our-studio-equipment

Detention of our Shabelle director and ransack of our studio equipments.

Forces from the transitional government of Somalia have forcibly and
violently entered our premises in Mogadishu, whisking away our director
Mukhtar Mohamed Hiraabe under the barrels of guns while also taking some
our main studio equipments.

"We condemn this barbaric attack staged on our radio station by some
forces of the transitional government and we call on the government leaders
firstly to assure the safety of our director, Mukhtar Mohamed Hiraabe and
his immediate and unconditional release" says in a statement released by
Mr. Abdimaalik Yusuf Mohamud, Chairman of Shabelle Media Network.

"Somalia's media is facing danger which will ultimately and surely silence the
freedom of speech in Somalia and the flow of information out the country if
the government doesn't respect the basics of democracy on which it was
formed" adds the statement also calling on the government the return of the
equipment taken.

Shabelle Media and media houses in the capital have suffered enough
under deadly raids and shutdowns by the transitional government and many
professional journalists have fled the country after some journalists were
killed by the warring sides.

Shabelle Media Network

------------
Somali troops raid three radio stations
Sun 2 Mar 2008, 11:42 GMT
http://africa.reuters.com/top/news/usnBAN242073.html
 Text [+]

By Aweys Yusuf

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - Somali forces closed down three radio stations
during raids in search of suspected Islamist insurgents on Sunday, the
stations' directors said.

Troops moved against the independent stations a day after a gunfight in
Mogadishu's central market between insurgents and government troops
backed by Ethiopian forces killed nine people.

Employees of Horn Afrik, Shabelle and Simba radios said troops took
computers, cameras and radio equipment.

"Government troops entered the radio station and said we must stop
working. They said the radio station is closed from now on," Horn Afrik
cameraman Abdi Daqane told Reuters.

"We are deeply sorry that Somali journalists are still under government
oppression," he added.

Shabelle radio's news editor, Abdi Ismail Abdi-ud, said the soldiers took two
computers and two sound mixing machines. They briefly detained the
station's acting director, Mukhtar Mohamed Hirabe.

"They did not say we are closed but we cannot operate ... I believe the
government is still showing its heavy-handedness on the free media in
Somalia," he said.

"It is silencing us because it does not want the radios to report that soldiers
are looting properties in Bakara market."

Simba, another independent station, had to shut down after government
troops seized computers and microphones.

"A number of government soldiers penetrated the building of Simba radio,
harassing the reporters and taking three computers, three digital cameras
and the radio's mixer," Simba Radio deputy director Mohamed shiil Hassan
told Reuters.

"They accused us of siding with and reporting the activities of the
insurgents," he added.

Somalia has been in chaos since warlords toppled dictator Mohamed Siad
Barre in 1991. The violence has worsened since Somali and Ethiopian
troops ousted Islamists from Mogadishu just over a year ago.

Please read my aricle on SINPO at (one line!)
http://zliangas.blogspot.com/2008/02/sinpfemo-better-signal-tech-analysis-
by.html
________________________
http://zliangas.blogspot.com  (radio tech , gadgets, grk ethics)
http://zlgr.multiply.com (radio monitoring site plus audio clips ) MAIN SITE
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/302315/ (Litohoro) 321199/Tinos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachgr    pictures upload
http://www.geocities.com/zliangas
http://www.myspace.com/310100806
http://del.icio.us/gr_geek1
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop

Order your WRTH 2008: