Re: [HCDX] Voice equalization for short wave broadcasting

Dear amigo:
After running many tests... we found out what may best be described as
an almost
optimum setting of the audio frequency response curve that will provide my
listeners with the best possible audio ¨punch¨, that is audio that will
get trough
interference of all kinds...
As a bonus, if you remove the lower frequency segment of the audio ,
that is from
30 to 250 Hertz, your transmitter won´t waste power modulating that segment
of the audio spectrum that provides, according to psychologists and
audiologists,
practically no useful information for the human to decode voice.
Although of less significance, it is also a good idea to introduce a
high frequency
cut with a 12 or 18 dB per octave slope after 2.7 kilohertz or so...
I have heard my shows on short wave under the most difficult reception
conditions
and the programs came in a lot better than the other shows recorded with
the ¨standard¨studio quality.
I am sure that you are aware that the typical short wave broadcast
transmitter´s
audio frequency response curve starts around 50 Hertz and ends quite
abruptly
at around 4.5 kiloHertz with a very steep slope that is required in
order to comply
with the channel separation requirements...
The studio microphones, audio mixers, master control program amplifiers,
fiber optic
coders and decoders, STLs etc. are alway easily capable of handling a
minimum
bandwidth of between 20 and 15,000 Hertz... while the short wave transmitter
by its own nature is only cable of responding from about 50 to 4500
Hertz... and
if you really want to be heard under the most difficult reception
conditions, your
voice modulation should be restricted to the range between 250 and 3000
Hertz or
so...
73 and DX
YOur friend in Havana
Arnie Coro
CO2KK
Host of Dxers Unlimited radio hobby program
Radio Havana Cuba

Order your WRTH 2008: