Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited's mid week edition script for 21-22 Nov

Radio Havana Cuba

Dxers Unlimited

Dxers Unlimited's mid week edition for Nov 21-22 2006

By Arnie Coro

Hi amigos radioaficionados ! I am Arnie Coro, radio amateur CO2KK, your
friend in Havana, enjoying just like you the good HF propagation
conditions of the past several days, despite the very low solar
activity... If you happen to know a bit about short wave propagation,
then you can certainly look for DX right where it's going to be found,
even during periods of a quiet Sun, as we are going trough and will
continue to experience until well into 2008... Here is now item one of
today's program: Lost of e-mail messages commenting about reception on
6180 kiloHertz,the frequency that we are using now to Central North
America starting at 00 hours UTC... Yes at 00 hours UTC and until 00
hours UTC 6180 kiloHertz is on the air with our Spanish language
magazine show's first broadcast hour... Then at 01 Hours UTC we start
the first run of our English language program to North America and the
Caribbean. The first re-run is on the air from 03 to 05 hours UTC, and
the final English language transmission is on the air from 05 to 07
hours UTC.

Item two: Also related to our B-06 schedule... More changes will be
coming up starting on Nov 22 Wednesday UTC day...and they will make
possible receiving our Spanish language morning show, Despertar con
Cuba, that is Waking up with Cuba, with much better signals in North
America after 13 hours UTC, as we will be using frequencies on the 19
and 22 meters band during the last two hours of our four hours Spanish
language magazine show. The new frequencies will be 15370 kiloHertz,
again, slowly for you to be able to write them down, one five three
seven zero, 15370 kiloHertz on the 19 meters band , starting at 13 hours
UTC and until 15 hours UTC, and the other frequency after 13 hours UTC
is going to be 13680 kiloHertz on the 22 meters band, again 13680
kiloHertz, they will both be broadcasting in Spanish to North America,
as we have developed a very large and faithful audience in Canada, the
USA and Northern Mexico for our Despertar con Cuba morning program...

Item three: Will be coming up in a few seconds after a short break for
station ID.. I am Arnie Coro in Havana, stay tuned or stay connected
amigos !!!

This is Radio Havana Cuba, broadcasting to North America and the
Caribbean in English, and you are now listening to our twice weekly
radio hobby program , Dxers Unlimited, the one and only that covers all
aspects of this wonderful way of enjoying our spare time... The Havana
Marathon race is our next item, here...Item FOUR: MaraHabana... the
Havana Marathon took place on Sunday with the participation of runners
from many nations, who came to Cuba to enjoy our wonderful winter
weather, and of course, also to run in the 42 kilometers and a something
competition that takes place every year here in the capital city of
Cuba.... Once again MaraHabana, the Havana marathon , and for those with
less athletic conditions also the shorter half marathon or even shorter
races, had the help of Cuban radio amateurs who were located all along
the 42 kilometers course to send back to the race organizers all
relevant information about what was happening around the city, as
thousands of runners went to the streets to participate. You could hear
activity on the 2 meters band metropolitan Havana repeater on 145.190
kHz going on since about five o'clock in the morning as the city's radio
club members started to move towards the places where their stations had
to be installed. At many locations, hams just needed to bring in their 2
meter band FM Handy talkies, with the small self contained vertical
antennas... but many preferred to carry a version of the J antenna , a
vertical half wave dipole made with TV 300 ohm twin lead, that increases
the radiated power and receiver's pick a lot as compared with the self
contained rubber duckie antennas... Using the homebrew J pole antennas,
hams could in many instances run their Handy talkies on low power
settings, and this saves a lot of battery power... Considered by the
radio club's emergency coordinators as an excellent emergency drill,
participation in the MaraHabana marathon race by the City of Havana's
radio amateurs reached record levels, with many newcomers to the hobby
who had recently passed the amateur radio tests and obtained their ham
radio station's licenses participating for the first time in such a big
event... CO2OJ , my good friend Oscar Morales Jr. the Secretary General
of the Cuban Federation of Radio Amateurs ran the net control station at
Havana's Kid Chocolate Sports Arena, where the start and finish line of
the MaraHabana Marathon was located. Oscar coordinated the operation in
a very nice way, winning praise from all the amateurs that
participated... And, the Cuban Institutes of Sports and Recreation gave
thanks to all radio amateurs that participated and also provided them
with a beautiful set of sports wear too...

You are listening to the mid week edition of Dxers Unlimited coming to
you from Havana, I am Arnie Coro, your host here, and now item six:
Encouraging new radio amateurs to homebrew antennas and simple equipment
is a nice way of helping them learn more about our wonderful hobby...
and also, its good for their pocketbooks and homebrew antennas can be
very cost effective indeed... For example, a simple antenna made with
common household PVC insulated wire and plastic PVC pipes can prove to
be very effective for apartment dwellers, who due to rules and
regulations by building owners and also many times by neighborhoods of
even city councils find themselves in a difficult situation regarding
the installation of antennas... My old favorite , the BROOMSTICK antenna
was recently the subject of an engineering student research work... and
he came out with some very interesting results Iwould like to share with
Dxers Unlimited's listeners around the world.

Among Julio's findings was that making the Broomstick antenna with
number 14 PVC insulated wire, and spacing the turns exactly one wire
diameter gave a higher efficiency when transmitting with the Broomstick.

He asked me about the prototype Broomstick, and I took him to my garage
where it has been in storage for several years... Julio then asked to
borrow the antenna to make some comparative measurements with his
upgraded design ,and I warned him that this prototype was a heritage
object, so he should take very good care of it, something he promised to
do...

About two weeks later, he returned my antenna , actually cleaner than
when he removed it from the garage, and gave me a print out of the
results...

Among the highlights of the results were the fact that the original
Broomstick prototype, that was made winding about seventy feet or about
21.3 meters of number 16 PVC insulated wire , when working against a
very simple ground system consisting of a  10 meters long single wire
counterpoise, showed a rather nice impedance that could be matched by a
PI network antenna tuner on the 40,30, 20,17, and 15 meters amateur
bands, and he also tested the antenna for receiving , finding out that
it provided good reception on the short wave broadcast bands from 6
megaHertz or 49 meters up, although Julio warned me about the fact that
the vertical antenna was picking up much more noise than the magnetic
loop he was using as a reference.

Arnie, he said, your Broomstick could be improved a lot by adding more
radials, a larger size top hat or as it is known by engineers top
capacity loading, and also by winding the wire with a one wire diameter
spacing between turns. And the senior electrical engineering student due
to graduate next year added that a shorter length of wire , exactly half
of what was wound in the original design of the Broomstick provided nice
performance on frequencies between 10 and 29 megaHertz transmitting, and
from 9 to 29 megaHertz when used for receiving.

Now, I will need to write a new article about the Optimized Broomstick
antenna , and post it on our website... Julio's research on this helical
wound, top capacity loaded vertical antenna will be the primary source
of the new article, and I will also include some data about other
classic short vertical antennas.

The original Broomstick design, more than fifteen years old , was copied
by many of Dxers Unlimited listeners who were homebrewing their first
antenna for picking up short wave stations. I received hundreds of
e-mail messages and letters from people that had built the antenna and
started to pick up many more stations than the ones they could listen to
when just using their portable radio's telescopic whip antennas... Later
I began to receive some very interesting comments about ham radio
operators using the original Broomstick design for transmitting on the
30, 20 and 17 meters band by connecting the antenna to their
transceivers with an antenna tuner.  A Canadian radio amateur who lives
in a 10th floor apartment was particularly happy with his Broomstick
because it was the first antenna that allowed him to operate on the HF
bands . Due to the impossibility of installing a rooftop antenna, he was
limited to operating on the VHF and UHF bands, but after homebrewing the
Broomstick and placing it on his balcony, he was able to work many
stations on the 30, 20 and 17 meters band. Later I sent him the building
instructions for a smaller version of the antenna that was designed to
operate on the 15,12 and 10 meters band, and he also built it, sending
me back via e-mail some nice photos of his installation and also of
several QSL cards sent by DX stations that he had worked with both
antennas...

Amigos, if you want to know more about both the traditional , now almost
classic Arnie Coro's Broomstick Antenna for Short Wave or the up to date
design that was optimized using antenna modeling software as part of an
engineering student's experimental work, the BROOMSTICK MARK TWO, just
send me an e-mail to arnie@xxxxxx, again arnie@xxxxxx, or VIA AIR MAIL
to Arnie Coro, Radio Havana Cuba, Havana, Cuba...and I will send you the
BROOMSTICK ANTENNAS INFO PACKAGE... so that you can homebrew this low
cost , easy to build short wave and ham radio antenna system that has
proven to be so effective around the world...

Now here is, as always at the end of the program, our exclusive and not
copyrighted HF plus low band VHF propagation update and forecast
amigos.. Ready to copy? Here we go:

Preorder your WRTH 2007:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953586499/hardcoredxcom/