[HCDX] Its time for BBC Radio One in Mumbai

Radio One, the Mid-Day Multimedia and BBC Worldwide
venture, has hit the airwaves in Mumbai, with the
perishing of Go 92.5 FM brand image. Radio One has
licenses to operate FM stations in Mumbai, Delhi,
Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Ahmedabad and Pune and
will become soon operational in Bangalore, Chennai and
Delhi in the next few months.

Rajesh Tahil, CEO, Radio One, said, "With Radio
Mid-Day becoming a national player in seven major
metros around the country, it was only natural that we
would evolve what we were doing in Mumbai into what is
going to be a robust national player. As a single city
player, being niche made sense, but a national
presence gives us the opportunity to go back to the
drawing board and look at opportunities to shed our
niche image and broaden our markets, both in terms of
audience and revenue."

Commenting on the opportunities that the FM Phase II
licensing allows for the growth of private FM in
India, Tahil said, "Being a significant national radio
player is of great strategic significance for both
Mid-Day Multimedia and BBC."

Shariq Patel, VP, Operations, and Head of Radio One,
Mumbai, said, "We have tested the new format and have
seen a healthy improvement in numbers from our own
internal tracking. With FM becoming a truly mass
medium, we are on our way to building a mass brand."

This also reflects in the programming of the station
in Mumbai. This will be the first significant change
in rolling out the national brand and is in tune with
Radio Mid-Day?s stake to become the No. 1 station in
the cities that it is present in.

Vishnu Athreya, VP, Programming and Brand, said, "The
new radio station will still have the flavour of GO
FM, which stood for fun, energy and exuberance ? all
the characteristics that reflected the city of Mumbai.
However, there will be a little change in the language
and the context. For us, music and Bollywood are an
integral part of the programming mix. Hindi music
itself has come a long way and the attitude that
Abhishek Bachchan reflects in a new Bollywood film or
the fact that Himesh Reshammiya is popular in clubs
tells us that the audience preferences are changing."

The company is optimistic about the new format, giving
a boost to their revenues. Avinash Pillai, VP,
Advertising Sales, explained, "As the market share
(audience) of the radio station increases, we are
certain the share of revenue will increase as well. We
have already seen interest from a wider list of
advertisers that may not have considered us a
necessity earlier."
Source:http://www.televisionpoint.com/news2006/newsfullstory.php?id=1149775248
posted by www.dxersguide.blogspot.com @ 1:00 PM 0
comments