[HCDX] GUATEMALA.

DXFlorida@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

has had logs on Medium Wave Central American stations.

** GUATEMALA. Radio Cultural Coatán, 4780 kHz, heard at 0230 UT on 07
Apr 2006 (9:30 PM CDT on Thursday 06 Apr 2006). Totally surprised to
hear them with such strong, clear signals! They were as strong as
Rebelde 5025 kHz! Many mentions of "Radio Cultural Coatán" by male
announcer along with Christian melodies played on a marimba. Heard
them using my Radio Shack DX-396 and its telescoping whip antenna. I'm
hoping the 60 Metre SW band will become as active as it was back in
the late 1970's!! 73 and GREAT DX! (Stephen Ponder, N5WBI, Houston TX,
USA, dxhub yg i.a. via DXLD)

What few Guatemalan SW stations remain, unfortunately all of them
gospel huxters by law, I think you will find, can provide such good
signals due to their proximity, especially to Houston. At least some
of the `culture` remains with marimba, even if they won`t play native
heathen Mayan music on it. As for 60m becoming active? Dream on. More
and more stations are disappearing forever (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

Well, uh... do you mean propagation-wise, or the number of stations
actually USING the band? If it's the latter, I wouldn't hold my breath
for it, unfortunately. So many local stations that were formerly on
the tropical bands have simply abandoned their aging, hard-to-get-
parts-for shortwave transmitters and set up FM stations and networks.
60 meters and 90 meters are like ghost towns these days. Of course,
these are the same broadcasters, particularly in Latin America, that
have also largely abandoned the AM broadcast band. (When's the last
time you logged, say, El Salvador on the BCB? Or Guatemala, for that
matter!) Then again, ALL of shortwave is beginning to seem like a
wasteland -- at least if you want to listen to something other than
U.S.-based preachers (what's Glenn Hauser's term for them, "Bible
huxters"?). (Randy Stewart, Springfield MO, IRCA mailing list vi DXLD)

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.