[HCDX] Logs, thought about specific targets, health nx

Repport from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
Pierrefonds / Montreal (West Island), QC
Equipment:
Sangean CST-818 and long-wire connected to the encoding cable which was it's self connected to the EXT. ANT. jack
Sanyo MCD-S830 with it's internal ferrite bar antenna

4915 BRAZIL,   Radio Anhanguera, Goiânia APR 2 0348 when I wasn't ready for sleep yet and APR 3 0315 too with Brazilian and international pops. Good reception on APR 2 (SINPO 35444-3 - O = 70% of reception quality). There is nothing to hear on 60m during the mid-evenings hours (9PM to local midnight / 0100 to 0400 UTC in the spring, summer and early fall and 1 hour earlier in the fall and winter months) aside from Radio Rebelde 5025, a few US rel. BCers (i.e.: WWCR) and Brazilians like this one. Still ZYs on 60 meters are something quite challenging for me in that they are local and broadcast in a language I can only compare with french, spanish and romanian (and probably a few words could compare to english, because there were Celts in Portugal and in the UK too and their language wasn't too different, spanish and english are also RELATIVELY close, HungRy = HambRe). Well, enough with the languages lesson. (Chiochiu-QC)

9460 TURKEY,   Voice of Turkey, Çakirlar APR 2 2106 - w/ traditionnal flute-based Turkish music. Very strong with just some fadings, but fairly low-modulation. Not really DX, because it also broadcasts to North-America, but since the low modulation used makes it slightly harder to hear, I'm sending it to CumbreDX and the other lists therefore. (Chiochiu-QC)

9580 GABON,   Africa Numéro Un, Moyabi APR 2 2101 - Newscast with low modulation and fairly little comprehensibility. Almost the same considerations as for Turkey-9460. (Chiochiu-QC)

9900 EGYPT,   Radio Cairo, Kafr Silîm-Abis APR 2 2036 - w/ traditional Arabic music with lots of tiring, yet interesting violin melodies (one of the instruments I like the least, but I loved the Middle Eastern flavor of it). Also some arabic talk. Very good, SINPO 44544 until about 1657 when dropped to fair (overall = 50 % between 2 and 3 over 5). This drop from very good to fair level is quite surprising. Do they change patterns ? (Chiochiu-QC)

And on mediumwave:

1110 VENEZUELA,   YVQT, Carúpano, Sucre APR 5 0107 - briefly audible for a few seconds with a familiar joropo ("...La Caracha, es mi muchacha") through an ALMOST alone (and otherwise COMPLETELY alone WBT). Very weak ZIZ-555 once, regular Caicos-530 and Cuba on 600 and 670 last night (APR 6 UTC) are the only other southern foreign signals noted, despite a recent increase in solar activity. (Chiochiu-QC)

First of all, I really need to try on a regular basis Marfil Estereo on 5910. Colombians are also special targets for me and this one can be quite challenging, just as was Radio Mil the first time I heard it. La Voz de la Guaviare on 6035 might break through the Marti-6030 splatter during the right conditions too.

There was a Spaniard DX'er who, 2 or 3 nights ago, got several Bolivian stations. One of them, the most powerfull received one, Radio Santa Cruz on 6135 would be a nice target for me too and probably a good beat for hearing my first CP. Radio Victoria from Peru would be a great, albeit somewhat easier challenge too. I'm looking forward listening more actively in the following days. One problem I have to cope with is that I often get powerline noises on LW and lower SW which, on 60 meters, makes for nothing but Rebelde-5025, USA and marginal Brazilians (especially when thinking about the N part of the SINPO). It is not noticeable on MW (fortunately !), altough our brand new TV set (purchased this late fall, after the end of the chemo) does ruin the 1000s, the 1100s and early 1200s only when it is running.

Also, as far as these logs goes, I'm surprised I heard Egypt-9900 drop from about 80% of reception quality to around 50% with the noise level increased around. I would really appreciate is someone would know the answers of this drop in the quality of my reception. Do they change for broadcasting to another part of the world ?

Last, but not least, I had blood tests today and will have the third scan this next Tuesday. It is not really off-topic, since my health has a great relationship with my ability to DX. If everything is ok (and IT WILL !!!), I'm looking forward having a beautifool DX extravaganza Eastern break DX'ing my favorite mediyumwave target from Cape Cod !

May good DX be with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu
"La jalousie est un grand pieux dans l'évolution spirituelle !"

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.