Re: [HCDX] AFN / AFRTS: AM, FM, SWBC and TV

I have been working with a contact at AFN for quite some time on the
QSL situation. A formal announcement is expected soon, but some techs
at the relay sites have been leaking details recently. I am not sure
at all that the QSL link on the AFN website is working, nor I am sure
it will be used when the new QSL answering service is set up. When I
get the official news, I will release it via DXLD and you will see it
here. Last I heard, we were about 4-6 weeks away. I have been
relaying updates from this source to Glenn and NASWA over the last
several weeks.

Also, contrary to reports in other SW pubs, the AFN maintains that
these relays are supposed to be 24/7 and not subject to shutdown for
priority military traffic. The feeds are unmanned. They are
interested in reports of reception and non-reception as DXers are
often the first to alert them to a transmitter that is off the air.
The source told me in one email that they know when Key West is off
the air because they receive complaints from yachtsmen and charter
fishing boats when the broadcasts are down!!!

Russ Lay

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.